DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone has purchased AND USED this tuner, please respond and let me know what kind of parameters it will change. The superchips website states that it can change multiple variables to increase horsepower, etc. However, right below it, the page state that the "end user" parameters that can be changed are rev limiter, top speed limiter, and rima and tire size. :huh: What's the real deal on this? :VHOT:

·
'02 Dakota QC SLT Plus
375 Posts
For trucks with the 4.7L engine the only options you can modify are the speed limiter and tire size. I don't remember if the speed limiter was a yes/no choice or if it gave me speeds to select. The rev limiter is not adjustable - I think 6000-6200 RPM is plenty.

I like the change I have gotten with the 87 and 91 octane programs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Modain47 said:
For trucks with the 4.7L engine the only options you can modify are the speed limiter and tire size. I don't remember if the speed limiter was a yes/no choice or if it gave me speeds to select. The rev limiter is not adjustable - I think 6000-6200 RPM is plenty.

I like the change I have gotten with the 87 and 91 octane programs.
Speed limiter is a yes/no question. You can also take off the torque mgmt feature of the transmission.
Trust me when I say you will not be disappointed if you decide to purchase a tuner. There is a major difference in performance between stock and the 91 octane setting. My 01 was used as a test truck for the tuner. while at Superchips facility I got to talk in depth with the programmer in charge of the Dodge line. He said they were seeing anywhere from a 20-30hp difference depending on what version of software your ECU was loaded with.
Only downside to the programmer is that with the 91 octane tune you pretty much have to run 91-93 octane if you want to drive with your foot in the throttle. Although for long trips Ive gotten away with 89.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Anyone have an idea when the tuner will be available for the 2004 4.7L?

·
Registered
522 Posts
On the Superchips Group Buy thread I think they said July-ish for the 04 tuners.

·
DFW Dakotas
61 Posts
The Superchips tuner I bought for my 03 Dakota gave me the speed limiter option of stock, superchips, (whatever that is), 120, or 140 mph. The rev limiter was not an option but was eliminated if you shift the automatic manually. And tire size speedometer calibration. The best feature IMO was the way it changed the firmness of the shifting. The only thing I didn't like was that if I went past the original speed limiter setting, (98 mph) and let off the throttle it wouldn't accelerate again until I dropped below the original 98 mph setting.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hey guy's, According to Superchips they are looking at a early july release of the 2004-2005 4.7L & 5.7L Hemi Max Micro tuner.

I will be offering a group buy as soon as they are released, and i do have a bunch on pre-order.

If you would like to get in on the Group buy, let me know as I am taking pre-orders for them now.

Thanks, David

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey david, when do you think you will have another group buy for the 2003 4.7L Max Micro tuner. my boss wants in

·
Registered
4 Posts
'04 4.7 tuner

Any idea what the price is gonna be? I'm assuming its the same as other years but you know what happens when I assume. I am definitely interested.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hey Sportscars,

Well for the 2004-2005 Superchip;s tuner, if we can get 10 or more people for the group buy then the price will be $311.00 Shipped.

Thanks, David

·
Registered
10 Posts
PremierTruck said:
Hey guy's, According to Superchips they are looking at a early july release of the 2004-2005 4.7L & 5.7L Hemi Max Micro tuner.

I will be offering a group buy as soon as they are released, and i do have a bunch on pre-order.

If you would like to get in on the Group buy, let me know as I am taking pre-orders for them now.

Thanks, David
I want one. Please add me to the group buy :drivingz:

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm installing a turbo in my 2003 4.7 Durango(4 plug PCM) so I decided to call superchips to find out if the tuner could modify the fuel mixture ratio(I don't want to touch timing!!!!) and if it would firm up the transmission??(5-45RFE). The guy told me NO for both questions. So I'm shocked to find out that it will firm up the tranny and hopefully get rid of the torque management. Maybe the guy was also out to lunch with the fuel curve question.

Can anyone else confirm the firmer tranny option and that the it's a no go for fuel mixture ratio adjustments.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Yes, the tranny shifts are firmer...but you won't notice until you're WOT. You can't adjust it but its firmer.

No go on fuel mixture ratio adjustments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yours had a 98 MPH limiter? Hmmm. I've go an '03 also, but with the manual trans. On Christmas Day, (before the tuner) mine hit 114 MPH into a mild headwind. ( well, I guess 114 + 15 MPH wind? ) Didn't feel like the rev limiter does and start sputtering, just wound to 114 and stopped revving. It still had more power in it, so I don't think it was drag related. I later set my programmer to 120 MPH, because my tires are only rated to 118 MPH, but haven't been anywhere that I can test it out.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Go with Superchips. My butt dyno shows it runs harder all through the RPM band.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I posted my dyno numbers and other thoughts in this thread:

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39628

I run the high octane performance tune all the time and love it! My truck is a manual and the rev limiter is gone, I took it to 6600+ a couple of times in 1st gear on accident. I also had the option on the speed limiter of stock, 120, 140 or superchips. I put mine on superchips but I haven't tested it out to see what it goes up to with this setting.

The microtuner was the bed mod I've done to my truck. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I sent Super Chips an email asking when the 04 4.7L Programmer would be available. They replied "Check back with us late August"

:banghead:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm wondering if there is any significant difference between the 00-03 tuner and the 04 tuner. I don't think there were any big changes made to the dakota between 03 and 04. I'll probably wait it out and get the 04... anyone have an opinion?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm surprised that no one ever mentions the change in the shift pattern when they install a SuperChips program. Instead of the 1-2-3-Lockup-OD it goes 1-2-3-OD-Lockup. Instead of the converter locking up at around 35 and the OD coming in at 45, the lockup comes in at about 50-52.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.