DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys i have been having a knock (pinging) issue with my truck for a while now and have been going though the steps to figure it out and get it fixed. first of all i thought the truck might be running to hot so i swicthed out to a 180 stat and that did not help. so i lowered the temp setting on my fan still nothing. I even added a fuel system cleaner to two tanks of fuel, still pinging. So i pulled the perfomance tune out and reset the computer and took it out dirving and it quit pinging. I reloaded the 91 tune and it stated pinging again right away. I called superships and after some talking back and forth they seem to think that my tuner got out of calibration(did not know that could happen). So I have sent it back to them and should have it back in a week or so, i hope this cures the problem.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I cannot run 91 tune on my truck? Ping Ping Ping. Everyone said give it a few full tanks of 91? I finially was running 87 tune w/ 89 octane. MPGs went way down but no ping? For this very reason I just yesterday went to Flashpaq and downloaded a bunch of new stuff??? I added the Milage XS tune also. Can't tell a difference from 87 tune in milage but truck seems to run better? Maybe they fixed something. Can't test 91 or 87 now it's raining here today.

I'm going to follow this thread because I don't think it is Superships. One guy took his truck to the dealer for a high pressure fuel sytem flush? He said his milage and performace was much better after that?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mine used to run fine on the 91 tune, i had removed it put the towing tune in over the summer to pull the boat to the lake. I put the 91 tune back in in august to go to the track and that is when it started.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to follow this thread because I don't think it is Superships. One guy took his truck to the dealer for a high pressure fuel sytem flush? He said his milage and performace was much better after that?
well we will know if it is superchips or not in about 10 days, i will post up and let you know.

·
Premium Member
30,916 Posts
* subscribe *

·
HOTROD
590 Posts
Are you running the right octane when you run the 91 setting. I've been running the 91 setting but only using 87 octane gas. I also use the fitch fuel catylast. I've never had an pinging problems once i put the fitch on. There about 170 bucks or least thats what I paid for mine at 4 wheel parts in Colorado. SC even warns you to use the proper octane

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you running the right octane when you run the 91 setting. I've been running the 91 setting but only using 87 octane gas. I also use the fitch fuel catylast. I've never had an pinging problems once i put the fitch on. There about 170 bucks or least thats what I paid for mine at 4 wheel parts in Colorado. SC even warns you to use the proper octane
i always run either 92 or 93 octane, i even went as far as putting a bottle of 104+ in with a tank of 92 and it still pinged.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
i use 93 octane on the 91 octane setting and don't have any pinging. I've also used my sc on an 06 hemi and still haven't had any problems. hope sc fixes your problem.

·
HOTROD
590 Posts
Man I hope SC fixes your problem. I'd be a lil pissed if it was me but hopefully everything works out for you

·
Coolest Ram Club in FL
4,292 Posts
I haven't had any pinging with my tuning on my 02...Running 91 all the time and lovin' it!!...please keep us informed

·
TWEAKED 4.7
4,383 Posts
my truck was pinging real bad a couple tanks ago. found out it wasnt anything to do with my SC. i think a lot of gas stations are not mixing the gas correctly on refilling of their storage tanks. therefore the octane is incorrect at the pump. i will NEVER be going to that station again. i had to put the 87 tune in and the pinging stopped. next full tank of 93 and the 91 performance tune went back in and NO PINGING. problem solved...shitty gas. what you might want to do it run the truck almost bone dry and then fill up elsewhere...sounds like a gas problem...not a tuner problem

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my truck was pinging real bad a couple tanks ago. found out it wasnt anything to do with my SC. i think a lot of gas stations are not mixing the gas correctly on refilling of their storage tanks. therefore the octane is incorrect at the pump. i will NEVER be going to that station again. i had to put the 87 tune in and the pinging stopped. next full tank of 93 and the 91 performance tune went back in and NO PINGING. problem solved...shitty gas. what you might want to do it run the truck almost bone dry and then fill up elsewhere...sounds like a gas problem...not a tuner problem
I tried that, I pulled the 91 tune out and put the stock in reset the computer. ran out the gas in it, put in some 93 ran around about 20 miles and put the 91 tune back in. It started pinging right away.I pulled the 91 tune back out, put in the stock tune and went to autozone and got a bottle of fuel system cleaner and ran that tank out. Refilled with 92 and added a bottle of 104 and drove about 20-30 miles and stopped put the 91 tune back in. It again went right back to pinging. I ran all this down to the guys at superchips and they seem to think the programmer is out of calibration. I hope that is the problem and that this fixes it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok guys got the tuner back today and it was updated by superchips. Put the performance tune back in and got the truck up to normal temp and let it shift into overdive(this is where i would get most of my pinging when just cruising along in OD and slowly excelterating). I did not hear it ping once. Also my truck was not pulling past 5400-5500 RPM (like it was hitting the rev. limiter) before I sent the tuner in. Now it pulls hard up to 5900. I guess the tuner was out of whack and needed recalibrating!

·
RamRoddin'
789 Posts
very interesting. good thing you were knowledgeable enough to recognize and steer yrself in the right direction towards fixing it. If it were a noob like me i may have spent countless bucks trying to figure out what else it was (aside from the tune) or smashed a piston or worse..

·
Acts 2:38-39
2,369 Posts
Good to hear Superram! Glad to hear it all worked out...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.