DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
RAM user
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 03 ram a few weeks ago (5.9L)and so far i have added a K&N CAI, magnaflow dual exhaust, and Superchips programmer.... what else should i do for better performance and im trying to keep the gas mileage up.
more questions are:
1) My truck didnt have a tempature sensor in the air intake, should i put one in.
2) I here everyone saying if you have a programmer it usually recomends having a 180 t-stat. what difference would that make and do i really need it?
3) When i put the superchips in i noticed a power jump and all i have tried is the 87 octane setup so far. i DID NOT notice a MPG increase yet but i have only had it in for about a week. will it come or is it a dream? when i first got the truck i was getting around 12 MPG and i still get about the same. i do almot 100% city driving.
---also on that same note, if i put it on the performance setting do i really need to use 91 or up octane or is the 87 ok to use? will it damage my engine that way? so far no pinging and it runs good on the 87 setting.
4) I notice the K&N filter gets pretty hot, not skin burning hot, but pretty hot to the touch, and it has a heat shield. is this normal?

and for any one going to the DFW meet, as long as it is still on for the 14th i am going to try to be there!

·
RAM user
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
most of the gas stations around me only have 87 89 and 93 and its a $0.10 jump between each of them.

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
You could also install headers and an exhaust cutout, which will help performance and gas mileage.

DO NOT run 87 octane with the performance setting. I had a buddy try this, and his truck ran like chit...so he emptied his tank and put in 93...all was fine after that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.