• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 449 Posts

·
RoaringRam
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading all of these forums about the Hypertech and the Superchip. Is there any definite winner between the two or does it simply come down to personal preference? I'm getting ready to purchase one and not really sure which way to go. Due to the high price of gas, I'm staying away from the Mopar. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm also in the market for one in the next few months and was wondering which would be the best. I've been told the superchip would run about $400 and haven't found any local places that have a decent price on hyperchips.

·
Registered
58 Posts
We have been installing the Superchips programmer in the diesel trucks. There have been a few part throttle shifting problems with the Hypertech programmers. They may have this fixed by now. Customers have been very happy with the Superchips. We just got in a couple of Diablo programmers, one for a 5.3 Chevy and the other for a 6.0 Ford Powerstroke.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Will either the Hypertech or Superchip work in the 96? They're listed for the 97 and 98...the superchip looks ALOT better performance wise.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
I have a hypertech and really like it. Really notice a difference with it. The only thing I know that Superchips has that hypertech does not is a setting you program in for when you are going to tow.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Yes, my Hypertech will read trouble codes, change tire size, change rev limiter, change top speed, and then does the performance tuning based on octane.

·
Get um'
18 Posts
Does anyone make anything for a 1995 Dodge Ram 1500

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hypertech makes them for a '97 and up and superchips is for '98 and up I beleive.

·
Chicks dig bench seats.
1,901 Posts
I have a Hypertech and really like it. I personally have never hear of a BIG difference between the two. Personally for the 2nd gen's I think they are both really good units. For the 3rd gen's i have heard some issues tossed around.

I get about 13-15 mpg outta mine running 87 octane. Usually 14, 15 if I watch my foot and between 13 and 14 if I like to give it a few good full thottles.

I have alwas recommended the programmers to people for the simple reason as they give you the biggerst HP bang for your buck. And you dont need to run Premium fuel with them to get it. Actually there really isnt much of a difference with the 87 and 93 octane settings.

·
Chicks dig bench seats.
1,901 Posts
lmcfad01 said:
do these programmers bypass factory ecm?? i've been told mine is faulty..
It will replace the factory program with its own.. What it does is store your factory program in the programmer and then copies its program to the vehicles computer... When you want to change it back to stock to sell the programmer or whatever it copies the saved factory program off the programmer back to the vehicle and the programmer is free to be installed on another compatible vehicle.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I bought a Superchips for my truck about 3 months ago. Didn't notice any difference on either Towing or Performance program settings. Returned it the same day. Just stating my experience with the superchips ( might have just been my truck ).

·
Registered
47 Posts
I tried the Superchips myself and really wasnt all that impressed. It seemed that no matter what i always had some small degree of spark knock when i got on it. So I also returned mine. I thought about the hypertech but i was told that the hypertech only works at wide open throttle.

·
hot2k1ram
756 Posts
i havent had any problems with my superchips programmer, u can definitly tell a difference if u drive it for a while then put it back to stock, the 93 octane setting seems to have a little more power at the top of the power curve and they really help when u tow b/c there's a lotta torque at the low end, when i slammed the pedal down the first time going around a corner i was really surprised as too how much i was pressed back into the seat

·
mope
531 Posts
I tried a superchips on my 98 with a 5.9, and noticed no difference what so ever. I returned it the same day also.

·
Fast SHOW Truck
4,446 Posts
I Just Bought My Superchip Programmer For My 05 Hemi Today And Was Wondering Where I Should Set My Rev Limiter Some People Say 6200 And Some Say 6300?

·
hot2k1ram
756 Posts
the rev should be set about 200-300 above the shift point

·
Registered
221 Posts
If I change octane to 92 but only put 90 in with octane boost, would that work? Reason I ask is i'm lookin at the PPIII and was told higher Octane, the PPIII would allow truck to preform better, but I can only get 90 octane? So octane boost is only thing I could think of? this PPIII, does it allow you to change back and forth easy? I don't plan on keep changing it of course but if I start with one and switch to another, would that be a problem?
thnx

thoughts?

1 - 20 of 449 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.