DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys.....just bought a superchip tunner....would like to change the rpm limiter and speed limiter..but real don't know what both mean...could someone explain to me what they mean and what they do for my truck

thanks
ontario_ram02

p.s...i would really like a quicker start then a top speed change

·
Registered
54 Posts
The rpm limiter controls how high your rpms will go. It will momentarily cut fuel to your engine if it reaches its limit and can not shift. In doing so it prevents your motor from exceeding the your set rpm limit, which prevents the motor from spinning to fast and sustaining internal damage. It doesn't cut fuel for long, just enough to drop the rpms down a few hundred, than fuel supply is sustained. If you've ever seen someone "bouncing" their tacometer off of their redline....that is the rpm limiter in action. It is also the point at which most cars will shift at while at full throtel. So if your stock limter setting is 6000 rpms, and you raise your rpm limiter 500 rpms...than your motor will shift at 6500 rather than 6000 at full throtel... Depending on what engine you have..this can be a good or bad thing. Some motors dont make much power up that high and are better of shifting at their stock setting.

The speed limiter electronically controls that maximum velocity of your vehicle. For example if your speed limiter is set at 120mph, than as soon as your speedometer hits 120 it will momentarily cut fuel supply, much like the rpm limiter, to prevent your vehicle from exceeding that speed. Changing your speed limit only changes the speed at which the computer will do this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.