DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Dakota R/T CC and I've added an ATI ProCharger D1-SC Head unit with a 12lb 3.4 inch pully :crazy: . I've been having belt slipage problems and I've recently got the boost upto 8 psi with some new belts. :mad: Now I'm experiencing problems blowing the intake gaskets (I think, as white light smoke is now comming out the exhaust and it smells like coolant). This is the second time this has happened in 2 weeks. The first time I replaced my head gaskets with Fel-Pro MLS units and ARP Performance head Bolts torqued to 137ft.lbs in 6 increments. I don't think the head gaskets are the problem as the original stock gaskets showed no sings of problems. I do think there's a problem with the intake gaskets. In the first go-round I replace the intake gaskets and Torqued them to 22 ft.lbs in 5 steps and appearently I've blown them again. In both cases boost presure reached approx 7.5-8 lb boost when this occured. I believe it's the intake gaskets, as I smell coolant in the exhaust and the motor runs rough. I am however baffled as to how the coolant is entering the intake gasket area and ends up in the exhaust. At this point I'm leary of any futher fixes to get my boost presure to 12lbs and I would like to.

Please anyone, someone help or ideas!

P.S. I'm thinking of using some copper gasket sealant and some better intake gaskets, but I don't know which gaskets are better and if the copper sealant is a good idea or even if the gaskets are truely my problem? I'm not getting any ping or detonation and when I had the heads off there was no indications of detonation or fouling, even the original cross hatch was still on the cylenders after 38,00 miles.

Other mods I've made to my R/T are:

M1 Intake, 53mm Throttle Body, 24lb FMS Injectors, Harland Sharp 1.7 Roller Rockers, Gibson Shortie headers, True Dual Exhaust with x-over and AERO-Turbine Mufflers with no CATS, Trans-Go Shift kit, MSD Ignition and Coil, traction bars and Leaf spring clamps.

·
02 R/T & 05 Ram
2,725 Posts
you blew your head gaskets again. what do your A/F numbers look like and what are you doing for extra fuel management. why don't you come to our R/T forum and we'll be able to help you out. forums.delphiforums.com/dakotart

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not Head Gaskets but M1 Intake Gaskets are popping from boost presure above 7.5psi !

I use a high band (Labratory grade) O2 sensor and my A/F's are great. Under load or heavy load I'm in the 10-12 to 1 range and under cruise I getting between 14-15 to 1. Again When I had the heads off all indications were of very good combustion and even burn no pitting, no carbon buildup and no white ash buildup. My Autolite 3923 plugs indiated the same even regular burn.

I do have a pillar gauge pod filled with the following instruments:

1. Cyberdyne Fuel Presure Gauge with memory.
2. AEM (High Band O2 Sensor) A/F Gauge with lamda, usually at or below 1.
3. Cyberdyne Boost/Vacume Gauge with memory

All three gauges were tested and calibbrated with other hand held gauges before innstallation.

I've ordered new ARP intake bolts and SCE/Flat Out intake gaskets. :D

P.S. I really do appreciate all responses, Thank You! :)

·
slo truk
37 Posts
You're using too much torque on the M1, it's supposed to be 12ftlbs, not 22. That's probably what's allowing coolant into the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply, and with the ARP Bolts 22ft lbs. works great but I've since blown the bottom end of the motor due to the #1 fuel injector having an electrical disconnect causing a super lean out and totaly eating the #1 stock piston. I'm currently rebuilding it with the following:
Ported, polished and matched M1 Intake and Heads, Probe Forged Pistons + .040 over at 9.0:1, Plasma moly rings, K1 Carrillo 4340 H beam rods with ARP8740 bolts, Full floating piston pins, High Volume Oil pump, Hardened Oil pump int. shaft, Clevite 77 main, rod and cam bearings, Main Stud Girdle and oil scraper, Mopar Cam Shaft .496/.512 lift 272/278 dur. 119 deg. center line with matching 6500 rpm valve springs and new rollers, Double Roller timing set with 4 deg. advance (bottom end pump up), B&G Computer flash.

With the 12lb boost and other mods, I should be right around 600 ft. lbs. and 600 hp gross. This should put me in the low 12's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.