DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new on this forum but I've been browsing the performance topics for quite some time. One thread I read stated that if you tow quite a bit, then you shouldn't supercharge your Hemi; a stroker motor is a better option. Since my job requires me to tow a 4000# trailer sometimes, I was looking for ways to bolt on power. I already have a K&N intake, CORTEX programmer, and Flowmaster 50 HD series exhaust. Dynatech LT headers and 180* t-stat are my next upgrade. Also, there are times when I pull my trailer 1200 miles a day. My question is: Would adding a supercharger be a bad addition to my 07 Hemi Ram when I tow for sustained high loads for a long period of time?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Generally a supercharger by itself does not do well with towing as it creates heat and so does the load from towing and there is usually a problem with fuel pre-detonation and engine overheating. They are best for short bursts, like at the race track.

Therefore if you are considering a supercharger for use with towing, you will definitely need one which incorporates an intercooler. ProCharger makes an intercooled supercharger specific to Hemi powered Rams which they claim is compatible with towing. I cannot comment on its durability or if it would be better than a stroker, but if you want to supercharge and tow, you need something like that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I'll look into an intercooled ProCharger.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
You are better off with a diesel. That intercooler isnt going to stop your stock pistons from popping a ring land. Check the pic in my gallery.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Check out Trailer Life magazine back issues. They put one on a Hemi Ram FOR towing. Said it made a WORLD of difference. Thats where I got the TSB# from for the trans reflash from-that same article. No longer have the mag though. 2005 I think.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Me too...

I've got an 03 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi magnum and I am looking to do the same thing. My Pro shop recommends a P1SC1 ProCharger super charger.

However I am in colorado and I am NOT looking to have motor trouble on Vail pass. And at this altitude we are down 2 psi from places like the crank torque test lab.

So what I am trying to do is get the 2 psi back. To do that we are going to install a Turbo Waste Gate between the supercharger itself and the intake manifold set to 2 psi. That will bleed off the excess pressure. The Procharger will make 6 psi at 6000 rpm (don't spin yer motor that fast while towing :) and is fairly linear, so with to/haul engaged I will have that extra 2 psi at towing rpms.

I also have a diablo sport intune i10000 tuner, pace setter headers, flowmaster exhaust, stock intake with K&N filter, and an E-Fan conversion with manual override (switch to just turn it on and leave it on when on the hills) At 12.12 psi atmosphere (colorado) it makes 260 ft-lb to the road(I cried too) However with the motor rated at 375 ft-lb and losing 20% to atmosphere I am betting the 2 psi from an intercooled super charger will give me back 75 ft-lb, 75 ft-lb the motor is Rated to run with to the road.

Now that gives me a total of 335 ft-lb to the road. In colorado and minus the power needed to turn the internals, you only get .6 the rated torque out of a naturally aspirated gas engine. So, I'd need to buy a truck with a gas motor that makes 335 / .6 = ~550 ft-lb .. equal to the old 5.9L cummins diesel. If I can get that out of my 1500 with out blowing a piston, I'm happy. :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Anyone that tells you a supercharger is bad for towing....is an idiot and you should never listen to them again.

An engine is nothing more than an air pump, it ingests so much air and expels so much air; a supercharger crams MORE air in and that's what makes power. Power and torque, two things nice for towing.

The assertion that a supercharger is bad for towing is complete nonsense.

Now, this does not address the fact that the stock pistons don't really like much boost. And yes there is heat management to consider. But really, 4k lbs is nothing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts