DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever heard of such a thing? would it even be practical compared to a turbo?

·
Registered
518 Posts
We use them in the Marine Corps, the Mk. 48 Logistics Vehicle System uses a Supercharged and Turbocharged 2-stroke Detroit Diesel.

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
BVRmonger said:
I remember the old 2 stroke Detroit supercharged diesels. A V8
I think guys used to call them the Screamin Demon!
Cool.

·
Registered
518 Posts
BVRmonger said:
I remember the old 2 stroke Detroit supercharged diesels. A V8
I think guys used to call them the Screamin Demon!
It isn't necessarily a V-8, we use an I-3, or I-4 I can't remember on some of the really old 600GPM Fuel pumps that's a Supercharged 2-stroke Detroit

·
Registered
697 Posts
Not all Detroit Diesels have turbo's. The turbo was added for more performance. The reason that they have a blower is because without one you would never get it to start. You need the air to be forced into the airboxes in order for the engine to have enough air for full combustion. And since a turbo doesn't make boost pressure until you have heat energy(exhaust) built up, you need to use a blower to supply that air at low rpm's. Detroit diesels come in many sizes, actually you can make a 16 cylinder by bolting two engines together, there is probably more to it than that but I know it can be done. I work for the railroad, and we have some 16 cylinder EMD's made by GM, that are are over 11,300 cu.inches, and these things have very unique turbo's, when the engine is anywhere from idle through about 3/4 throttle, the turbo is gear driven by a large clutch pack which is meshing with the gear train. After 3/4 throttle, the turbo comes off the clutch and the exhaust pressure takes over driving the turbo at full rpm's.

·
Registered
11 Posts
One of the earliest, and more common application of a supercharger (Roots blower) in diesels was to run it as a scavenger (on the exhaust side) on the two-strokes. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.