DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a 2010 Hemi, and want to start on the upgrades. Any good suggestions on an exhaust? Plus I was wondering what the cat back system is compared to a magnaflow, or is it the same?

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I would start with a new y pipe,and highflow magnaflow cats would help also.
Changing out mufflers is a big can of worms.
Stick to stock for now.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I went with the Mufflex 14 inch replacement. Its a Magnaflow muffler that is a direct replacement for the stock muffler. Sounds awesome. I dont feel you need to replace all the pipes as the stock are stainless and Mandrel bent. Much, much cheaper. YOu won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not going to drowned out the radio is it? I want something that sounds good when you want it to, and isn't drowning out the radio when you are cruising down the highway.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I would say the magnaflow 18 inch, I have the 24 inch and it's just a little louder than stock but not much...... it will get slightly louder with more mileage, mine did! Plus it just bolts right up to stock pipes, hangers, and tail pipe!:rck:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would start with a new y pipe,and highflow magnaflow cats would help also.
Changing out mufflers is a big can of worms.
Stick to stock for now.
Could you elaborate on what you mean by changing mufflers is a big can of worms? I am just about to do a muffler swap only from stock to Magnaflow 18". I've talked to a couple people who've done this with no issues at all. Thanks.....

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have a magnaflow and get compliments on it all the time. Nice thing is when your cruising on the highway you barely hear it, but when you get on it, it has a nice rumble. Keep in mind I have the 4.7L though.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Could you elaborate on what you mean by changing mufflers is a big can of worms? ....
Don't worry about it. Once the truck is run for a short time the worms all die. Shortly after that the worms are cooked and dried out and eventually just turn into dust and are blown out the tailpipe. No more can of worms.

·
Registered
726 Posts
On mine, if I ever get the time, I am looking at removing the resonatators and tail pipe tips and going with either 3" or 4" stainless out the back. I have the factory duals. It looks like this would be a fairly easy fab job. And the price would be within reason as well. If it is still too quite when I am done I will go with the single in, dual out Flowmaster.

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
I've heard good things about Magnaflow... had I not installed a cutout, that's what I would have done.

As for a muffler can-of-worms... it's in refference to all the people who have a favorite muffler.

·
Administrator
10,540 Posts
I really like my 18" Magnaflow. It's relatively quiet while cruising, not annoying while towing, and sound great under heavy throttle. I am also considering axing the resonators and replacing the stock tips with some nice 4" tips.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I went with the Mufflex 14 inch replacement. Its a Magnaflow muffler that is a direct replacement for the stock muffler. Sounds awesome. I dont feel you need to replace all the pipes as the stock are stainless and Mandrel bent. Much, much cheaper. YOu won't be disappointed.
I also went with the mufflex 14. IMO, not loud at all...I would want a bit louder myself....but sounds great! Lots of compliments.

·
Registered
966 Posts
If I do anything on mine it will be a Borla...

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
My can of worms ended up costing me thousands of dollars.
So it was a big can.

This was on a 03 with no MDS,so with MDS I would think the problem would be much worse.
The problem is finding a muffler that works with MDS.
I already keep hearing about Mufflex,and Magnaflow.
The only Magnaflows i ever installed resonated like crazy.
I have heard the Mufflex and they sound like shit(My opinion).
And whats with the Yeh it resonates a bit but its not to bad,or sometimes when MDS kicks in it sounds like the muffler farts.?????.
I spent thousands trying to find a good muffler for my 03.
I am not going to go back down that road with my 2010.
It seems 90% of the people who have bought the Mufflex,or magnaflow just want everyone to buy one,and that somehow this will make there purchase of one seem like a good idea.
If you want better performance and sound start with some performance mods.
New y-pipe,highflow cats and headers.
Then if its not loud enuff get a good performance muffer that costs more than 40 dollars.
Borla Dynomax both make good performance mufflers that dont resonate and sound like your running a 40 dollar muffler.
And once you remove the stock resonaters trying to make it louder,then your well on your way to joining the thousand dollar muffler fiasco that I went through.

My suggestion is do your homework before you buy a new muffler,and dont get caught up in the hype that goes with these threads.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I bought the dynomax ultraflo stainless sido system , my slt did not have duals so i put the tailpipes angled out before the bumper , i am very happy with the system, sounds real nice.

Attachments

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
Or you can bypass all the muffler crap and just get a cutout. :D

·
Registered
834 Posts
The Mopar/Dynomax systems I've installed on the MDS Hemi trucks sound like shit. They sound horrible when MDS is engaged. I installed a MBRP system on an MDS Hemi and again it sounded like I was getting chased by a group of helicopters when MDS engaged. I personally had a Magnaflow catback and my father in-law and dad have the same system on their '07 Hemi's. They're the most bearable when MDS is engaged. They may not be the loudest but that is the trade-off when it comes to MDS

·
Registered
79 Posts
chryslertech, what muffler comes with the chrysler system, i wasnt aware it was made by dynomax, I can hardly tell if mds is activating on my truck , I dont have the indicator on the evic, and there is no odd sounds. maybe the mopar system uses the less expensive fiberglass packing instead of the woven stainless in the ultraflo. just a thought.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
The Mopar/Dynomax systems I've installed on the MDS Hemi trucks sound like shit. They sound horrible when MDS is engaged. I installed a MBRP system on an MDS Hemi and again it sounded like I was getting chased by a group of helicopters when MDS engaged. I personally had a Magnaflow catback and my father in-law and dad have the same system on their '07 Hemi's. They're the most bearable when MDS is engaged. They may not be the loudest but that is the trade-off when it comes to MDS
Are you talking about a 09-2010 or a 07.
Like i said,most people are talking about bearable,and can live with it.
Ive been there done that route.
I want a muffler that sounds good with or without MDS engaged.

If i cant,then ill just do the things that will make my truck faster.
Headers,y-pipe,and highflow cats.
On a 3rd generation hemi we saw 8 RWHP just from swaping out the stock y-pipe.
On our trucks it would be 10-RWHP.
So do some lontubes,Highflow cats,and new y-pipe.
It will be louder,but more important it will be much faster.
The last thing i would do would be my muffler.
And I would proably spend more than 4o bucks on a muffler full of steelwool.
Borla and dynomax are 2 of the best flowing mufflers on the market.
I dont know of anyone using Dynomax on the 09-2010s except the guy who posted above,so ill take his work for it,that it sounds good until i here other wise.
This is Not a 03-08 forum.
The 2009-2010 motor is completely different,than te 3rd generation hemis.
No offence meant.
Cheers.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Very happy with my 24" SISO Mufflex on my 09 RCSB 5.7.

Running OEM tailpipe resonator as well.

All of us have different tastes,,,

To me, the OEM muffler sounds 'clanky', like an old farm tractor,,,

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.