DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always just traded in when buying a new car. I'm too upside down to do that this time, so I'm wondering what methods you have used to sell your past cars. Internet? Shoe polish on the back window? Newspaper? Anything I should know about as far as tax, title, and license? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Good Luck!!!

I've never done it also. Just guessing by saying this. I would get her clean as much as possible to make her look appealing to others and maybe slap a FOR SALE sign whenever you park her, @ work or home with a contact number and a little info about the truck. GOOD LUCK!!! :gr_patrio :rck:

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Internet, maybe ebay. You will probably only get as much ast the dealer will give you.

·
Registered
385 Posts
if you are buying another car, have you consider trading it in?

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
yeah, you'll definetely get more by selling it yourself than a trade in. One thing that looks nice, is when people actually get those vinyl stickers made up and put on the back window. It should cost much at all for a sign shop to make them for you. But I agree with Tone. Just keep it really clean and keep that for sale sign on it every time you park it. Park away from others, facing the street, that way, people will notice it more. Good luck, and sorry to see it go.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
here are some tips from Kelly Blue Book on selling your car
http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/ke.kb.sp?kbb;;AL097;&36609&&article_selling_like_a_pro_1;article

and here is a sign you can put in the window that lists the options, etc. and the kelly blue book value, which I think is usually higher than NADA. But, if you are asking more than KBB, then I wouldn't put the sign in the window.
Click private party value, then select your truck, and input in all of your options, then to the right of the screen, after you get the value, click "Print for sale sign" and it will come up and you can print it, then type or write all of your information, like selling cost, other options, and contact info.
http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.sp?kbb.AL;;AL097;&36609&&path&;2004;Dodge;1500 Pickup

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
As for taxes... if you trade, dealers can subtract the value of your trade-in from the value of the vehicle you are purchasing to calculate sales tax. Depending on your tax rate, that will probably be around a $1,000 savings. In most states, you can't get this deduction if you sell the vehicle yourself.

So, if the dealer is going to give you $19 for trade, you would need to sell it to a private party for $20 to get the same deal.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
When I sold my 2G Ram earlier this year, I made up a couple of two-paged signs that listed all the accesories/mods I had on it, and put those on both sides. The biggest decision I made was to offer it at a price with room to negotiate, or just set a price. I opted to set the price $500 over the lowest I would accept and ended up getting $200 over. Ultimately I was honest with my buyer and told him that I wasn't trying to make a bunch of money off him, basically just enough to clear my loan ... remember, you are still getting much more money than you would trading it in. I parked mine on a curb that is kind of the unofficial used car lot in my neighborhood and it sold the second weekend. The paperwork for a seller is quite easy ... once you get the money and pay-off the truck, your loan/lease company will send you the title to sign over. I even called them to make sure I was signing in the right spot. When you take the money for the truck, make sure to have a sales agreement typed up for both of you to sign that will be in place until you get the actual title. Send in the release of liability right away though. You might check your state's DMV website for some help too ... I seem to remember downloading some forms there.

·
Slammed 1 Suspensions
2,095 Posts
i'm getting the vinyl for sale sticker on mine tomorrow morning. For $40 its pretty good advertisement.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
you can also try www.autotrader.com
Before you list it with them, do a search to see what your competition is--but remember, those are all "asking" prices, and it doesn't mean they will get that price.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
burn it!!! crap at $3 a gallon , even that can get expensive, :D

theres really not much you can do ,,either ebay it, a local paper classified section and picture ads (car buyers market)and simply displaying it on main roads with a big for sale sign!!! good luck!!!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I've found that dealers make it so easy to buy and even more now with the incentives that many people won't even look private party. Most people have a trade of their own as well and it probably isn't paid off. Look at Bubba he trades rigs like he is changing his clothes. I say trade it in and be done with it.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
RammingDodge said:
ok, I take that back, KBB is A LOT lower than NADA, so you might want to print that sign, but just white out the information that has the KBB value, and then go here http://www2.nadaguides.com/Values/ValueCategory.asp?UserID=5308260260B05&DID=38146&wSec=1&wPg=1202
and print out the NADA value of your truck and put it in the window.
I just tried NADA to give me the prices for my 04 and it came out almost $1000 less on trade and $1500 less on private sale then KBB. Best bet is to do both and go with the higher price.

We have a few local for sale magazines that I have sold vehicles through before. Just putting a for sale sign in the windows takes too long. Find some classifieds and advertise it. Many do it on commission so you only pay after it is sold. The local one I prefer chrages me no more than $75 to sell something. So, on a $20K+ vehicle it is a great deal.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I sold my Alero a few months back. I put forsale signs on it, NADA value on it, drove nothing but the car so it would get some publicity. I didn't get any bites. I parked it in a parking lot for a while, and still no bites. 3 months had passed and not a single phone call.

I brought it home from the parking lot and pretty much gave up on selling it. Halloween weekend I went out of town, and when I came home I had 4 calls on my answering machine. Some parents had seen it in the back of my driveway when they were taking their kids trick or treating. SOLD!!!

Moral of the story, what works for one person won't work for another. You need to use all your options.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Big E said:
I've always just traded in when buying a new car. I'm too upside down to do that this time, so I'm wondering what methods you have used to sell your past cars. Internet? Shoe polish on the back window? Newspaper? Anything I should know about as far as tax, title, and license? Thanks for your help.
I'ld lose the stripe if I could
People see that they figure it has been RUN and abused and take the K&N off

Unless you find a performance type to buy it you will scare regular buyers away

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
NHHEMI said:
I just tried NADA to give me the prices for my 04 and it came out almost $1000 less on trade and $1500 less on private sale then KBB. Best bet is to do both and go with the higher price.

lol, really? KBB was almost $2K lower on mine than NADA. I guess it's just different on different vehicles.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
JoeHemi57 said:
i'm getting the vinyl for sale sticker on mine tomorrow morning. For $40 its pretty good advertisement.
Why are you selling? You come across something new Joe?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.