DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I'm running my factory 8" Infinity subwoofer with a MTX Terminator TN250/1 mono subwoofer along with the factory Infinity speakers in my 2004 Dodge Durango.

I find that with most of my music, the 8" sub can't keep up and it sounds disorted and can't seem to punch out those low notes well. I listen to pretty much every genre of music, but listen to country most of the time. :tup:

Not looking for heart pounding bass, but something that will make my music sound good and perform better than my factory 8". I do plan to upgrade my component speakers to either Alpine Type-S, Alpine Type-R, or Infinity Kappas in the spring/summer time.

I've got a budget of around $300-$400 give or take. Should I get a single 12", dual 10", single 10", or replace the 8" Infinity subwoofer? If you suggest a better box, make sure it doesn't have a depth more than 14-17 inches please.

I did a bit of research on a decent setup and this is what I was thinking for a single 12" setup.

Sub: Alpine Type-R Dual Coil 4-Ohms
Amp: Kenwood KAC-9104D (500Watts @ 4ohms/900Watts @ 2ohms) (1800Watts Max)
Box: 1.3 cubic feet

I'm open to any suggestions or opinions. What do you guys think I should get based on my needs?

·
'11 5.7L R/T Classic
4,095 Posts
If everything you said is correct, that amp will probably overpower that sub. If it's a 4 ohm DVC sub, then it will be wired to a 2 ohm load, and you'll be throwing 900 watts RMS at it. That might be possible for the sub to take in ideal circumstances, but you'll be nearly doubling the rated power for them.

Also, don't forget to include a wiring kit in your costs. They're usually in the range of $40-70 including RCAs and speaker wire.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.