DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i plan on getting one twelve in a truck box sitting right behind my middle seat in my Reg Cab 1500 hemi. I dont have any special sound packages, just regular speakers i guess. Is it worth it to install the subwoofer myself if i've never done one, or should i pay an installer to do it? I don't feel like screwing up my brand new truck, but i also dont like throwing away my own money.

So how easy/hard is it to install subs? I'm pretty sure i can install the sub into the box, the wires to the amp, and etc., but i am not sure on the wiring to the stereo or the wiring thru the firwall to the batt.

Any suggestions on a 12" sub/box combo that fits in the middle seat would be great appreciated. I want to spend under $250 for the entire thing hopefully.

Thanks
 

·
Hemi2nV
Joined
·
7,813 Posts
alloy171 said:
Hey guys, i plan on getting one twelve in a truck box sitting right behind my middle seat in my Reg Cab 1500 hemi. I dont have any special sound packages, just regular speakers i guess. Is it worth it to install the subwoofer myself if i've never done one, or should i pay an installer to do it? I don't feel like screwing up my brand new truck, but i also dont like throwing away my own money.

So how easy/hard is it to install subs? I'm pretty sure i can install the sub into the box, the wires to the amp, and etc., but i am not sure on the wiring to the stereo or the wiring thru the firwall to the batt.

Any suggestions on a 12" sub/box combo that fits in the middle seat would be great appreciated. I want to spend under $250 for the entire thing hopefully.

Thanks
Good luck on spending less that $250. I installed mine myself. Your going to have to get an after market cd player for starters then the amp, subs, box, and amp kit. This is going to run you around $600+ depending on what you get. I installed all my stereo myself with no help what so ever. Im a first timer and i thought it was pretty simple. I can explain in detail more how to do it if you want and send you some pics of my set up. I have and indash dvd player, 2 - 10" rockford subs in a box under my back seat ( I have a QC) and i have a 1500 watt amp under my passenger seat. All the wires are concealed and total instalation time was probably around 6 hours. First time takes alot longer. Now i can do it in under 3 or 4 hours. My suggestion to you is buy some 3/4" MFD and make the box yourself then figure out the cheepest place to get the rest depending on what you want. But def. get your amp kit from wally world. Will save you $75 on what places like bestbuy what to charge. Let my know if you need any other help.

BB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow, 650 for an indash DVD player? Thats exactly what i want to do. I want to upgrade my stock deck to an indash DVD player (cheap but decent, maybe the Jensen thats out there). Which indash dvd player did you go with? And do u think a new deck will be strong enough to power the 4 speakers in a regular cab? I figure if the stock deck can do it, then an aftermarket deck can definitely handle powering 4 speakers. The sub will be run by a seperate amp of course. I've seen some package deals out there that have a box, amp, and sub for under 300 so i thought it might be feasible.
 

·
derekrf
Joined
·
385 Posts
A lot of places like Circuit City will do free installs if you buy their stuff. I did all of my installs myself, but if it's free of charge why not? Amps are not hard to wire, sometimes just a pain to make it look clean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,238 Posts
derekrf said:
A lot of places like Circuit City will do free installs if you buy their stuff. I did all of my installs myself, but if it's free of charge why not? Amps are not hard to wire, sometimes just a pain to make it look clean.

HaHa, don't bet on that free install! they advertise it as free but when they totalled mine up- I was buying around $500 worth of equip. and having them install everything plus my amp...........................TOTAL $950

Do it yourself or have one of your more audio-smart buddies help you, like I did :D And save big money...........
 

·
Hemi2nV
Joined
·
7,813 Posts
alloy171 said:
wow, 650 for an indash DVD player? Thats exactly what i want to do. I want to upgrade my stock deck to an indash DVD player (cheap but decent, maybe the Jensen thats out there). Which indash dvd player did you go with? And do u think a new deck will be strong enough to power the 4 speakers in a regular cab? I figure if the stock deck can do it, then an aftermarket deck can definitely handle powering 4 speakers. The sub will be run by a seperate amp of course. I've seen some package deals out there that have a box, amp, and sub for under 300 so i thought it might be feasible.
No i paid over a K for my dvd player. Im just saying thats about the cheapest you can get everything for. I have the pioneer 6500avh-dvd player. Yea a new deck will do the job plus it will make the stock speakers sound better. Good luck on finding that package. I spent almost 600$ with alot of discounts and put it all in myself.

BB
 

·
ASE approved
Joined
·
8,862 Posts
there is a guy on ebay selling replacement center seat cushions for these trucks that is a speaker box it will hold a 10 or 12 he wants $150 it would be really cool. i think for what it is you wont find a better deal. i will include the link at the bottom of this post. as for the wiring its really easy. and getting thought the firewall is a breeze. there is a rubber gromment in there for the spedo cable run your wires thought it. i mounted my amp under my seat and have the sub behind the drivers seat.(cant afford the above box yet) i really dont like it there because i put alot of crap behind the seat and the box takes up alot of room. but good luck. i think the $600 guesstamate was pritty close. if you do it yourself and dont want the best of everything. you can buy a rf modulator to convert your stock sterio to work w/ an amp. but if you plan on buying a deck anyways buy it first and save the $$ on the rf mod. my opinion go in this order. 1 buy new deck 2 buy new door speakers 3 buy amp 4 buy sub thats what i did it took a while but i got there. here is the link i was talking about
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50565&item=5768767546
hope it works. if not cut and paste.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Assuming you just want to hook up a subwoofer, the only thing you really need is the box, the sub and the amp. You could use the same head unit and it would sound just as good. You would need to be a 20 dollar box that allows you to run RCA's from the rear speakers and then you would not have to run the RCA from teh front to the rear. I just finished up my whole setup again and It was not that expensive. As long as you could do some of the work your self you would be alright. I have enclosed a picture of the subwoofer box that I just setup. Was more time then money. So good luck.

I also wanted a dvd player setup, so I decided to craft my own into the dash. Was fun doing it and I just bought a in dash DVD player and it works great.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,860 Posts
marsh14 said:
Isn't it hard to see the heater controls under the dash?
woah, that's wierd, I didn't even notice that. I wasn't even thinking where they would be. That's kinda cool though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Don't need to see them. I know each knob. At first it was a pain. But I am used to them now.
 

·
Victims arent we all
Joined
·
1,826 Posts
i want to move the ac control knobs to the inside of the center console, but under the stering column is pimpish
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,358 Posts
Kingbingy said:
Assuming you just want to hook up a subwoofer, the only thing you really need is the box, the sub and the amp. You could use the same head unit and it would sound just as good. You would need to be a 20 dollar box that allows you to run RCA's from the rear speakers and then you would not have to run the RCA from teh front to the rear. I just finished up my whole setup again and It was not that expensive. As long as you could do some of the work your self you would be alright. I have enclosed a picture of the subwoofer box that I just setup. Was more time then money. So good luck.

I also wanted a dvd player setup, so I decided to craft my own into the dash. Was fun doing it and I just bought a in dash DVD player and it works great.
that is awesome how hard was it to move all the controls were the wires long enough?
 

·
ASE approved
Joined
·
8,862 Posts
a little off topic the control idea is really cool i was looking at a gauge pod that mounted in the dash(in the little cubby below the ac controles) but i use that hole for so much stuff that i didnt wanna go that route i thin if you moved the ac knobs you would be able to install the gauge pod there.
 

·
Hemi2nV
Joined
·
7,813 Posts
marsh14 said:
Where is your 4x4 knob?
Probably a manual lever on the floor

BB
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top