DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I bought one of those MDF ebay boxes to fit under the backseats of my 04 ram QC, put in 2 JL 10w3v3 powered by an alpine mrd-1000 (700w) amp, and I'm pretty disappointed.

The SQ is great, but the subs really don't hit the low notes loud enough like I want them to. I don't know much of anything about car audio though, so maybe there would be an easy fix. Doubting that, I was looking at getting the vented fox box for my subs. Would this work? The 10w3v3's require 1.125 ft^3 for a vented enclosure per sub, and I know the fox box only has about 0.9. I know they'll fit, but I've also heard alot about vented boxes being extremely hard to design and very unforgiving when it comes to this sort of thing. So can somebody help me out a bit? The resonant frequency of the subs is 31.49hz, and the box is tuned at 34hz. Is this okay?

I know 2 10s won't set off alarms, but I was really expecting more from them -- I've heard 1 alpine type R that blew my 2 away in SPL and it was vented. I want great SQ as well, I listen to a WIDE variety of music (rock, hip hop, chillout, electonic, etc), so I really need them to be functional in that regard. If I got 2 12s in a sealed enclosure, would that hit low notes better than 2 10s in a vented enclosure? I don't really want to get new subs, but I suppose I could wait awhile if the vented really won't work. Thanks in advance.

·
'11 5.7L R/T Classic
4,095 Posts
The 10w3v3s aren't notorious for an exagerated low end. Theoretically a sealed box should be able to get those "deep" lows better, but I'll bet the ebay box is holding them back. 12s and 15s can attack the low end better than 10s presumably with all other things equal. You might be able to get away with adding more power to them in a sealed setup, but be careful when you smell that smell. That will be your investment losing its value.

·
'11 5.7L R/T Classic
4,095 Posts
oh, and according to the specs of your sub, in relation to the fox box, i'd say its a pretty close match. You can put some polyfill into the box and it will act more like 2.0-2.2 cf, plus the added bonus of lowering the effective tuning frequency just a bit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So do you think the vented box would make much of a difference then, or should i just be looking at getting better subs? Would 10w6v2s hit alot lower in the vented box, and would it be okay it power them with the amp I have? Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
112 Posts
If it is any help, I just installed the Fox dul 10" ported enclosure with 2 Alpine Type R's DVC's subs, with an Eclipse 33230 Amp(400watts) and let me tell you this unit hits like a baseball bat................best money I have spent so far. :rck:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I'm now kind of debating whether or not type R's or 10w6v2's would be better for the vented enclosure. I don't know if I want to buy new subs just yet, but I'm thinking about it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I wasn't measuring anything. Just kind of using my own judgement, but I know I haven't heard too many systems. How can I measure the SPL?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I don't have one, so not much I can do in that regard.

But from what I've heard it really seems like that fox box hits alot harder than the ebay mdf boxes around. Any more information on that box though would be appreciated. Anybody have experience using both?

·
jokersHEMI
615 Posts
I have used both boxes, an MDF ebay box (sold it almost immediatly after installing) and now have the vented Fox Box. I am running two JL 10W6V2 subs in it and have it stuffed with a pound of pollifill. It hits really hard BUT the lows are not as low as I think they should be. It's not that the 10's can't go lower I think it is the accoustics of the truck and possibly even box restrictions that are holding them back. I had three of the same subs in my old hatchback car, in a plain square box with them facing the back window and they would go as low as some 15's I have heard. I really think the accoustics of our trucks is pretty lousy for a major sound system!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah that could be it. Maybe because they are upfiring? Was the ebay box just as bad playing the lows?

·
jokersHEMI
615 Posts
It was actually worse, it was WAY to small for the W6V2 subs, the pic is before I added the vent.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jokersmith said:
It was actually worse, it was WAY to small for the W6V2 subs, the pic is before I added the vent.
When you added the vent was there much of a difference?

·
'11 5.7L R/T Classic
4,095 Posts
I tend to agree that our trucks aren't designed in such a way to accentuate the lows. I'm sure if you walled off the back seats, and threw 4 15s in it, it would be plenty low, but under the seats, there are definately limitations.

I had an ebay MDF box with 1 12" pioneer in it, and at the time I hadn't heard many systems, but I was very unpleased with the output. I put in the fox box and some infinity perfect 10.1s, and it sounded 5 times better, and gets about 10-12 db louder. I haven't metered my truck, but judging off other systems I've heard, I would guess I'm hitting around 125-130 db now with just the 2 10s, and 700 watts. It gives me a little bit of a chest thump, and my seat back on my front seat vibrates like crazy. Due to the location of the port (I guess), it sounds and feels louder in the passenger seat. The port velocity coming out of the port feels like the A/C on full blast.

I would highly suggest bolting the box down to the floor, or securing it in some way, as at high outputs it has the tendancy to dance around if you don't have the back seats down. Also be careful about washers on the back seat brackets after you put in the supplied spacers. I just recently started getting a buzzing sound coming from the driver side back corner. The washer had actually started eating into the ABS with all the constant vibrations.

I get a small amount of frame flex on the back of the cabin, and since I usually have my window rolled down, I know the side mirrors have started vibrating pretty good. Forget about using the rear view mirror all together!

Given the limitations of our trucks, and working with the space provided, I honestly give the Fox Box an A- overall. I would have preferred a 3/4" or even 1" MDF top instead of the 5/8", as I know I could probably squeeze another half a db out of it without the slight flexing on the box, but it is the single best box for under the rear seats available imho, including custom fiberglass ones, and the Probox, which is no longer available without buying their subs preloaded anyway.

Hope that review helped.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great post, definitely gives me a better idea of where my subs stand compared to others.

I should probably seal both my subs properly in the box if I want it to really sound good -- one of them actually stripped all of the screws in the mdf.

Do you find there is any vent noise, or that the box makes certain higher frequences "ring" or anything?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.