damn that looks nice as H3LL

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Very Nice!!

·
2000 Durango R/T
1,065 Posts
Hey vodka, I'm assuming you built that box yourself. What thickness plexiglass did you use? And how did you cut it to the size you needed? I don't see any screws, did you just glue it in?

I've got to pull my box out and seal/carpet it, and I was thinking of maybe adding some plexiglass to it while it's out.

·
Computing Fool/Gadget Guy
120 Posts
which kicker is that... I think I just blew mine up..

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kingstretch said:
Hey vodka, I'm assuming you built that box yourself. What thickness plexiglass did you use? And how did you cut it to the size you needed? I don't see any screws, did you just glue it in?

I've got to pull my box out and seal/carpet it, and I was thinking of maybe adding some plexiglass to it while it's out.
3/4" Plexiglass. My friend cut it for me not sure what he used, but there are screws if you look at the pictures better.

·
Registered
750 Posts
vodkarebel said:
So freaking loud it makes my ears hurt. I think its pushing 155-160 db + :rck:
I'm sure you hurt your ears, but I'm not so sure you're hitting 155-160 db.

I encourage you to read about SPL about 3/4 of the way down on this site http://www.lowertheboom.org/trice/infrasound.htm

A person describes 150 db as:

A passenger in a boom car reported the following experience, October, 2000. The boom car was driven by DJ Billy E. The passenger told of his experience as he was subjected to the extreme bass (high-intensity/low-frequency sound) inside the vehicle. The blasts of low-frequency sound at 150 dB caused the following effects:

"Eager to crank up the system, he hands me a set of earplugs. 'Let's hear some burp.

' I stick the plugs in, and he hits the burp button, a red switch on the center console. It's difficult to describe what happens next. The noise sounds like 'BRRRROONNNNNKKKK!' The vehicle vibrates like a jackhammer, but much lower and deeper. I feel air blowing the back of my hair, and my body starts to rise out of the seat. My pant legs are flapping. Everything in the car is rattling like crazy, and I realize my vision is blurred as my face pulls back taut against my skull. The only reaction left is to laugh out loud. I look over at Billy E gripping the steering wheel, squinting and grinning maniacally. He lets up on the button, and the chaos stops.

"'If you're drinking a Coke, your throat will shut.' I'm amazed I can actually hear his voice. 'It's like being under water. Your ears don't ring they're just muted. After a day, everything opens up again,' he says.

"He never uses plugs. He says high frequencies, not the lows, damage the EARS." (capitals are mine). "Like most SPL competitors, his system is bottom-heavy, consisting mostly of sub-woofers. My ears aren't ringing much at all. I felt the blast much more in my body."

At 136.9 my system moves my hair, I can feel it pulsing through my body, my voice is slightly skewed, I get headaches really quickly. A friend of mine is probably in the low to mid 140's with 3 Rockford p2 12's in an accord with a rockford 5002 amp going to it, when he turns it up on a bass cd you cannot hardly talk to each other your voice is so skewed, your whole body feels like it's being shaken violently, every piece of the car rattles, and to think, he just bought another 12 and another rockford 5002 amp.

I would also like to send you here to learn more about db http://www.answers.com/topic/decibel

150 db is like standing 30m away from a jet engine.

Sound levels above 85 dB are considered harmful, while 120 dB is unsafe and 150 dB causes physical damage to the human body. Windows break at about 163 dB. Eardrums rupture at 190 dB to 198 dB.

Man this is hurting my ears just typing this out. The purpose of this post was not to bash you in any way or form, it was to inform you.

Hey Ugg:
In World War II, Nazi propaganda engineers used infrasound to stir up anger in the large crowds that had gathered to hear Hitler. The result was a nation filled with anger and hatred.

More about that can be found in the first link I posted.

Sorry for the long post, I dont' normally do this.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Just to clarify, I'm not trying to sound like a dick, just trying to inform people on decibels.

·
Sicker Than All
517 Posts
Esh said:
At 136.9 my system moves my hair, I can feel it pulsing through my body, my voice is slightly skewed, I get headaches really quickly.

that's about how it was in my 5.0. i was only running two 10" bazooka tubes and it hit like crazy (i'm not sure why, it just did. 150ish to each one). you could hear the bass from about 3 blocks away. it didn't really sound good, but it hit.

now i've just got my 10's in my Durango and that's enough for me now. i'd really like to do the door speakers but just don't have the money. i've even got another amp just sitting around waiting for them.

·
Registered
750 Posts
E6V6I6L said:
that's about how it was in my 5.0. i was only running two 10" bazooka tubes and it hit like crazy (i'm not sure why, it just did. 150ish to each one). you could hear the bass from about 3 blocks away. it didn't really sound good, but it hit.

now i've just got my 10's in my Durango and that's enough for me now. i'd really like to do the door speakers but just don't have the money. i've even got another amp just sitting around waiting for them.
10" bazooka tubes, hm......

I don't wanna think about how far away you can hear my bass, I don't turn it up that loud anyways when I'm driving. I only turn it up pretty much for show.

·
Keystoner
5,534 Posts
look'n good

·
Registered
557 Posts
150-160 is freraking loud... you should attend a local bass comp & find out where you are at on that given day... just might bring home a trophy.

·
120 Posts
go ahead, be a dick, it's ok :)

By the way, I did in fact blow up my 1200.1, I am sending it to Kicker today..

Anybody comment on why (other than man. defect) an amp goes kaput???

I was goosing the volume (something fierce) and all the sudden the subs cut out, I still have power to the amp, but no sound... I put a kx350.4 in place for now to keep some sound coming out of them until my 1200.1 comes back, but I am just curious as to how an amp dies like that...

·
Registered
750 Posts
To start with, how is your system wired up?

What size fuse are you using?

I pulled up the specs on your amp: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5wa0LUiY4CV/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=2064KX1200

Note: There is no built-in fuse protection in the KX1200.1. Kicker recommends that an in-line 150A fuse be placed in the power cable leading to the amp

Did your amp come with a fuse from kicker?

It's possible that using to large of a fuse won't blow when it should, resulting in damaging current going into the amplifier.

A 150A fuse is huge, I'm only running an 80A (it came in the box with the amplifier) fuse to my Alpine 1000w @ 2ohm amp. I've never had a problem.

Did you check your ground?

Kicker amp specs:
Power at 4 Ohms (Watts x Channels) 300 x 1
Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels) 600 x 1
Power at 1 Ohm (Watts x Channels) 1200 x 1

·
Registered
370 Posts
it is possible that the subs you are running are dual voice coil??... if they are wired in series, with bridged voice coils, wired to an amp to one channel... the amp is then running at .5 ohms, which that amp would not be stable at high current.... double check your wiring is where you should start if a fuse didnt blow.... just a suggestion

·
120 Posts
thanks for the reply.. I can tell you that out of the kicker is one wire that runs to the right hand sub, then off of that another wire connects to the left sub...

Then inside the box there are four posts on the sub, two of the posts wire to the other two and then to the connector in the box, I think that means they are running 4 ohm...

There is an inline fuse that runs to the amp, although I didnt check it..

Funny thing is this I put a kx350.4 in place and connected the wires to the jacks labeled amp1 (which I presume means a set of two channels) and running this amp sounds almost as good as the kx1200.1...

What is the optimum way to run a pair of twelve's like that (they are rockford fosgate hx2's 500 rms 1000peak dual 4 ohm running in a 2 foot slot ported enclosure)?? any thoughts???

·
Registered
750 Posts

OR

·
Registered
750 Posts
So, at 4 ohms, your $800 1200.1 amp is only putting out 300 watts RMS, OUCH.

With your 350.4 hooked into amp1 only (front 2 channels), you are putting 60 watts to each speaker, way underpowering the subs. That amplifier is meant for door speakers.

If you are going to continue to run the 350.4 while the 1200.1 is out, I would suggest bridging the front two channels for one sub, then bridging the rear 2 for the other.

·
120 Posts
"So, at 4 ohms, your $800 1200.1 amp is only putting out 300 watts RMS, OUCH."

That is what I say, am I running the right subs??? or am I wiring the stuff incorrectly and not getting the full effect of the 1200.1???

What is the best application for a 1200.1 in that case, a single sub???

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.