DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
~3 tOns oF fUn~
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what some of you have been able to squeeze into the probox underseat dual 10" enclosure...the mounting depth and air space are quite limited so it's hard to find a high power handling driver that will fit and work well in it...I currently have 2 RF HX2 10s in mine running off an JBL 1200.1...they pound pretty hard but I'm looking to try something new just for the heck of it...been considering the Infinity Kappa Perfect VQ10s, the Kicker Comp VX 10s, the RF Power T1 10s, Alpine Type R 10s, etc. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Type R's are the way to go in the probox. IMO

·
~3 tOns oF fUn~
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, I might have to give them a try...how much power were you running to yours and how did they sound?

·
:D Hello!!!
3,401 Posts
Can't help you on depth but when I was running the probox I had some pioneers in it, sounded OK but nothing special. Some suggest swapping the plexi for MDF and screwing the box down to the truck. It used to be a very popular box. I believe mostly on DTW though.

·
~3 tOns oF fUn~
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have my box screwed down, maybe some thicker plexi would be better?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Yeah that is Deca, he made me my 2 12" box in center consol. He is a bad ass. He goes through more subs just to test then I have ever seen! LOL I had a Hifonics bx1500d amp running them @ 1 ohm. They were taking 500+ watts RMS each like a champ! I have the type R 12's using the same amp. WOW As long as your plexi screws are tight and you have some of the foam tape to keep it sealed you should be fine. I put some sound deadenr in the bins then bolted down the box and it sounded killer.

·
~3 tOns oF fUn~
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like I'm gonna go with the Infinity Kappa Perfect 10 VQ subs...I had the original Kappa Perfects in my probox when I first got it then I replaced them with the HX2s but the Kappas sounded way better...I have heard that the Kappa Perfect 10 VQ's won't fitin the probox because the magnet is a bit too big...I might have to make a 1" MDF spacer to make it fit, no big deal. I'm planning to get the fox box eventually so I'm sure they'll fit/ work good in there.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Good call! You can always trim the carpet in the bins and give you some extra clearance. If you need it. I was really close to getting the perfects but went with the solid type Rs cause my buddy had them in his, and I didn't want to gamble.

·
~3 tOns oF fUn~
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now I'm kinda thinking about the Eclipse SWR-8000s, they're damn nice and the min. recommended air space sealed is .3 ft3 so they would also be a good match for the probox...I'm definitely gonna look into getting some thicker plexi, atleast 5/8" thick.

·
~3 tOns oF fUn~
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Eclipse SW8000

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
hemion20s said:
Now I'm kinda thinking about the Eclipse SWR-8000s, they're damn nice and the min. recommended air space sealed is .3 ft3 so they would also be a good match for the probox...I'm definitely gonna look into getting some thicker plexi, atleast 5/8" thick.
Despite what it says in the specs, that sub does not sound good in a small sealed box.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Have you been able to fit the Eclipse SWR-8000 in the Pro Box? I did'nt think there was that much mounting depth considering the cooling fins around the magnet. Might have to take a angle grinder to some of the fins to fit.
A word of advise on the air volume recomendations. No matter what the manufacturer says, put them in the largest box you can fit. Most 10" subs on the market will work in a .3 ft3 box but the efficiency goes to crap and you have to poor alot of unclipped watts into them to make them sound good.
There is a shop in my town that rebuilds speakers and the owner showed me a trick on how to make a sub sound good in a small box. It has to do with the weight of the cone. Subs that are specially built for small boxes tend to have heavier cones. He had a pair of the old Jl audio 12w1's in his Firebird and they were in a box at the bottom of the well. It only had .5-.6 ft3 per 12. He took a new large diameter dust cap and epoxied a big 1/2" bolt washer to the back side of the dust cap. Probably added 1-1.5 ounces to the cone weight. He then epoxied the dust cap over the origonal dust cap. The cone is now stiffer because of the double dust caps and it has more weight which makes it move smoother and stops the popping / pinging sound that you get with a box thats too small. The only downside is that you void your subs waranty and the sub no longer looks like a JL since it has a plain black dustcap.

·
~3 tOns oF fUn~
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was thinking the same thing about the fins on the eclipse sub, but if you look at a close up pic of it, you can see some little screws that look like they're used to mount a cover over the magnet of the sub, so the heatsink could just be a cover that comes off...however, I have changed my mind yet again and decided to go with the RE SE 10s...I've heard nothing but good things about them. I was also kinda thinking about the new cerwin vega V max 10s...

·
Registered
977 Posts
I'm just not that impressed with Cerwin Vega. I'm not shure if its just the local dealer thats expensive, but they arent as popular as they were 5-6 years ago when the vega series came out. The V-max subs are expensive and performance is about equal to a JL w3 or a Memphis M1.

·
~3 tOns oF fUn~
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I found a pair of them brand new on E bay for $199...I thought that was pretty good...the new CV strokers are pretty impressive looking too. I think I'll probably just stick with the Punch HX2s in my probox for now, then eventually get your fox box if you can make me one with a 3/4"-1" MDF baffle instead of the 5/8.

·
~3 tOns oF fUn~
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just ordered a pair of the Resonant Engineering SE 10s, should be here in a week, can't wait!

·
~3 tOns oF fUn~
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was planning to run the RE 10s in my pro box but a buddy with the same truck just said he'd like to buy my pro box so if he does, I'll be ordering the Fox vented enclosure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.