DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok....I used to be big into subs and amps when I was a teenager but I have fallen out of touch with what it what these days. I have a Pioneer deck with Infinity Speakers in the front and rear. I am looking to do one sub with an amp. I really don't want it to be super loud from the outside, but I want it to sound really good on the inside. I've looked at the single boxes for under the rear seats and the console box. I'd like to hear what you guys think. I pretty listen to hard rock and metal. Also, what size sub and brand. Which amp? And is there anything else that needs to be added to the sub box other then the speaker itself> ie.....crossovers etc......

·
The Walt-n-ator
2,491 Posts
I run two 10" Infinity Kappa Perfect's in my QC and love them; I primarilly listen to rock and metal too. They sound great; you can pay more for subs, but unless you're an audiophile, or compete, the Infinity subs sound just as good as any other more expensive sub. My rule of thumb is to always buy audio equipment according to the specs and materials; I could care less what brand they are. I got both from Crutchfield for $150 shipped (don't hate me sponsors). They are rated at 350w RMS, have a large rubber surround, and the woofer cone has an inlay of aluminum (very tight snappy sound). The amp I use is made by Profile; it is the Profile AP2000, and is rated at 320w x 2RMS (@ 2-ohms) or 960W bridged (4-ohms). I have never used a Profile amp before, but they can't be beat for the price and performance; it is still running strong after 3-years with zero problems. I know others are going to advocate other popular brands, but, honestly, Profile is really worth checking out. In fact, I have the Profile AP1040 powering my 2 sets of Infinity components at 80w x 4 RMS, and I've never had any problems with it either. Right now, I have 960w RMS total, from both of my amps, and it only cost me $420 for both of them shipped! I have included a pic of the sub box that I built for my truck. Here's a link to both of the amps, so you can check out the specs...Good luck!

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_489AP1040/Profile-AP1040.html?search=ap1040&tp=115

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_489AP2000/Profile-AP2000.html?search=ap2000&tp=115

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
i have been looking to try onlinecarstereo.com they are good on their prices.. the kickers look to be good i also use to fool around alot with this stuff but lanzar, vega and crossfire was all i use to us but i hear that is all out of date

·
Registered
31,151 Posts
I have had a single sub setup since day 3 of owning this truck. Nothing huge, just a single 12. I run it off of the sub channel on my Kicker 700.5 (which is a 5 channel amp, so it runs my entire truck). It provides 420W at 2ohm. Nothing crazy, but it does a damn good job.

As for boxes.........well, here is my line up:
  • Crappy MDF box from the stereo shop. Hated it. Not built well at all, just sucked.
  • ProBox - NICE box! Had an adapter ring to fit either a 12 or 10. Sounded great (for an under the seat box).
  • Center console box - my father in law and I built this to my exact liking! Could have gone down firing, but I chose to fire it out the back. I absolutely LOVE this box. The airspace inside obviously kills the airspace you would get from any under seat box. The same sub, same amp setup sounds 187% better!
Based on the type of music you listen to, you need a sealed box. Not sure how much of a bass head you are - or if you want to keep your storage under the back seats. If you don't care about storage.......get a double 12 sealed box from Fox Acoustics (sponsor here!) or ProBox. If you want to keep the storage and add bass....get a Hotbox from SupercrewSound (sponsor here!).

·
You've been Hijacked
14,746 Posts
I have the hot box (console box) with a 10" sub and i LOVE it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok.....its there anything else I need other then the box, amp and speakers?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so voice crossovers or anything?

·
You've been Hijacked
14,746 Posts
almost all decent amps these days have pretty good crossovers, and you said yourself you are not going for the full blown system like you had when you were younger so there is no need for a separate crossover. Make sure you buy a good amp wiring kit. There is a very noticeable difference bettween the cheap 4ga. wire and a good 4.ga. they both look the same on the outside but the cheap stuff has a lot less wire and more insulation.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
any recommended name brands for the wiring kit?
I appreciate all the info.

·
The Walt-n-ator
2,491 Posts
hey i am new here, i am trying to instal an amp in my ram 07, but i have no idea how to get to the back of the factory radio. i will appriciate any tips or instructions.
The entire center bezel is atached to the dash with clips; start pulling outward on one edge, and pop it out along the edges. This will expose the OEM radio.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can't find any console box with the brand name HOTBOX that everyone is talking about. Where can I find one?

·
You've been Hijacked
14,746 Posts
the hotbox was made buy a guy and sold on ebay. Our sponsor supercrewsounds builds a similar box.

·
'11 5.7L R/T Classic
4,095 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok....I've decided to go with the hotbox with a single 12 inch sub. I am going to continue to run my door speakers off my pioneer deck. Now.......I was thinking of an infinity sub? What amp?

·
You've been Hijacked
14,746 Posts
oh there are so many good amps out there. Get one with a built in varible crossover. The important thing is that is has enough watts RMS to push the sub. It is better to have too much amp and turn the gain down than too little of an amp and turn the gain way up.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok........if I am only going to run one 12 inch sub, should I go with a 2 or 4 ohm sub and amp setup?

·
You've been Hijacked
14,746 Posts
you could get a single voice coil 2 ohm sub and then get an amp that is 2 ohm stable with enough power to push the sub. For instance if you get a sub that is 300 watts rms you want an amp that will do at least 300 watts rms with a 2 ohm load.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.