DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
RamATC
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do i get those trim pieces off the steering wheel...those ones that surround the cruise buttons? :help:

·
Retired Guy
1,239 Posts
Unscrew them from the backside. then they come out toward you.
PS disconnect teh battery and wait 10 minutes before doing this. it will minimize the chance of an accidental airbag deployment.
HTH

·
RamATC
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fireman46 said:
Unscrew them from the backside. then they come out toward you.
PS disconnect teh battery and wait 10 minutes before doing this. it will minimize the chance of an accidental airbag deployment.
HTH
AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT! That's just what I need! :D Thanks for the info fireman!

·
Whiskey Bent & Hell Bound
2,277 Posts
The best way to take those pieces off is while the truck is running, so you can turn the steering wheel. You need the wheel to be turned 90* past center to get a screwdriver in there. Then, when your done with one side, you have to rotate the wheel the opposite way 90* past center. Once you pop those screws out, just pull the rubber/plastic center cover off. Pull the connector for the airbag apart, and then take the airbag out. Once thats removed, there are two more screws holding those trim pieces on. You dont have to worry about accidental deployment of the airbag, because it wont deploy without a signal from the crash sensor. Its sounds complicated, but its not. Just time consuming. But, the final product looks great!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
looks good

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I would start the engine and turn the wheel like said above, then shut off the engine and remover the neg batt terminal.. If those bags deploy because of a spike in the electrical system, you are gonna have a headache and a big bill.

·
Whiskey Bent & Hell Bound
2,277 Posts
kenihemi said:
I would start the engine and turn the wheel like said above, then shut off the engine and remover the neg batt terminal.. If those bags deploy because of a spike in the electrical system, you are gonna have a headache and a big bill.

The airbag wont deploy. It only deploys when a signal (power) is sent from the crash sensor. Unhooking the connector and removing it wont cause it go off, because there is no power there to cause it to go off. No need to be paranoid.

·
RamATC
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i got them off, thanks for the help. they are in the process of being painted....i'm going to have to wait until tomorrow to get a couple more coats on them. i'll post some pics when i'm done. thanks again! :D

·
RamATC
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, everything worked out as planned for the steering wheel. while i was at it i added a little color to the AC/heat knobs. thanks for the help! :rck:

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.