DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a '96 Ram Van. Idles a bit rough but nothing too bad for it's age. Seems to have decent power and shift through gears fine while accelerating. As soon as it shifts into 4th gear and I start to cruise, the van stumbles/vibrates when I tap the accelerator. Stops immediately when I coast, even at speed. I'm trying to track down whether it's a misfire or a torque converter issue. Replaced ignition wires, plugs, cap and rotor when I got a misfire code and it needed a tune up anyway. Now, no code (although I'm not sure if I have enough drive cycles).

Anything particular to this rig or am I just chasing an ordinary misfire/ torque converter issue?

thanks. pete

·
Elder User
3,112 Posts
Have you tried unplugging the torque converter connector at the tranny to see if it still happens?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Another possibility is the distributor/cam shaft pickup plate isn’t adjusted properly.
If you (or someone before you) removed or moved the distributor you’ll need to use a scanner and reset the sync signal. Common issue after replacing intake gaskets. If your scanner doesn’t have a “set sync signal” function you can get away with watching the timing advance on a scanner while turning the distributor until it reads as close to 0 as you can get it at approx 1000rpms.
If is too far out of range it can cause bucking at cruising speeds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
260 Posts
Time to buy the factory service manual.

I buy mine on CD ROM from Rock Auto.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: So the history was a stumble/rough running and throwing a P0300 code. I replace ignition components (plugs, wires, rotor, cap). Still stumbling. Replaced fuel injector on cylinder 3. Thought it was torque converter but before taking it to the transmission shop went back over my iginition components and realized I hadn't tightened the cap all the way down. Once tightened, no stumble and no codes so far.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts