DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have A 2006 2500 Diesel,i Love It ,but As Soon As I Get Into Deep Snow The Rear End Bucks And Hops Very Hard.is This A Weight Problem Or Is There Something Else I Can Do To Eliminate This Problem

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Has nothing to do w/diesel. Hemis do it also, ESPECIALLY the PowerWagons, due to our flexy off-road suspension. I found the best (for our truck anyway) way is to put it in first gear(6.3:1) and let the tires and gears do the work and try not to spin. The 2 times that did'nt work, I used momentum to plow through. When the truck came to a stop I backed up and hit it again 3 or more times until I made it through. Weight in the bed helps a LOT.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
put some weight in the back about 500 lbs it helped a little but it still bucked and cluncked when the wheels started to spin, will ladder bars help here as well .

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have an 05 Powerwagon. I live in Erie, PA and we have over 100 inches of snow this season. I live in the snow belt.

I bought some wood and 6 (60 lbs) tube bags of weight for total weight of 360 lbs. I used the wood to build a stop wall (an L shape) to put in the bed of the truck behind my rear tires to keep the weight behind my tires.

From my house to state roads I have about 2 miles of roads (dirt and paved) that are covered with snow from Mid November until End of March.

When I put it in 4wheel drive I always put my Tow/Haul mode 'On'. If I go from 4 wheel to 2 wheel I still keep Tow/Haul mode on until the roads are Entirely clear.

The only think that I have exerpienced with snow is when I turn out of my driveway, I can feel the front solid axle making the truck jump. But if I am on a straight away. My front end always pulls me staight and true and the rear end always pushes straight and true.

I run Green Diamond Icelander Tires on my stock PW wheels.

Is this what is happening?
You turn from a cleared road to a snow filled unplowed parking lot and stop. (therefore stopping forward momentum) Once you let off the brake and try to continue the rear end starts bucking and bouncing?

That is just a matter of not enough weight over the rear tires and the tires breaking loose and bouncing like a bull.

If that's the case you need to place the weight near the tailgate. For me 360 lbs is just right. I haven't had that problem for over 2 years since I put the weight behind my tires.

How did you come to measure the 500 lbs in the weight of your bed?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that is what is happening,the 500 pounds came from a water tank that i put 50 gal of water in,but the weight was dispersed evenly not, behind the tires.thank you for the tip ill try it next.do you have traction(ladder)bars,ive been told they will help as well?

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
500lbs is NOTHING for your truck. We have Hellwig LoadPro 35, one ton 4 leaf helper springs on our PW, and as you can see from pic above-about 2000lbs of snow in the bed. That is not fluffy snow-its gone through the snowblower 2X and is VERY heavy, it is squating more than w/our camper(1500lb tongue wt). That is the only time when plowing through deep snow that it did'nt hop. Load the crap out of it when you expect to go through deep snow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.