DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Dangerous but fun
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help: Hi Everyone, I feel like a fool,and so swallow my pride and ask for help.I would like to check the rear brakes and see more than what the holes in back show,but the drums wont come off with penetrent,hammer tapping,even a light weight puller.Is there something I'm missing like maybe takeing off 8 bolts on the hub and maybe a large nut behind the hub cover plate?The parking brake was released,wheel off[duhhh].3/4 tons are to me. When I bought some 34" big foots I asked the shop to check and they said they could'nt get the drums off also.My books are worthless,they only show a little information on lighter systems. Thank you for any info :gr_patrio

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Several times in the past I have had this problem. I use a propane torch and heat the drum where the wheel contacts it, working in a circle around the stud area. Sometimes it will pop loose without a tap with the hammer. :gr_patrio

·
Dangerous but fun
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Charlie,I'll try that next time it makes sense as it appears to be tight at the hub hole,I heard some trucks have one piece drum-hubs and more common the two piece ones with a big hole to fit over the hub.I'm hopeing mine is the two piece type.

·
Dangerous but fun
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the suggestions

Thank you Sgtark I would feel some play if that was the case I believe.This drum is rigid,not any movement what so ever thats why I thought maybe there's some more bolts to take off and before I ruin something with a puller and hamer.I'll let you all know the out come once I get back at it again,I gave up until I got more time and opinions. :huh:

·
Dangerous but fun
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the reason the rear drums would'nt come off

On the 2500 or larger trucks,the axle has to slide out first.Then with a 2 9/16 socket spin off the bearing pre load nut and then the drum pulls off like it should.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.