DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Josh
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey for the guys that have built motors! what is a good compression ratio so that i can run N/A now with good power but also can handle a good about of boost?

·
Banned
2,489 Posts
rollinstnd420 said:
hey for the guys that have built motors! what is a good compression ratio so that i can run N/A now with good power but also can handle a good about of boost?
Usually when adding boost decreasing the CR a around a full point is a good place to start but, with todays very efficient charge air coolers and some descent 93 plus octane fuel you can get away with stock CR's with lower boost levels and still be able to run a descent amount of spark advance.

The ability to run more spark advance under boost is very important. In some cases you can make the same or only slightly less power with less boost and more spark advance than you can by cranking the boost up which requires either higher octane fuel or retarding the spark advance to stay out of detonation or spark knock. The higher boost levels also work the compressor harder which raises the charge air cooler in and out temperatures which also requires the spark advance to be retarded even more to prevent detonation or spark knock.

The CR, boost level, spark advance, and charge air temperatures are a real balancing act when calibrating a boosted engine setup. Fuel is also a big knob when tuning a boosted setup because adding extra fuel (running rich) goes a long way for suppressing detonation or spark knock.

·
Josh
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i believe the stock CR is 10:1 so im look around a 9:1 would that be ok for a n/a motor than to add boost later next year??

·
Hemi2nV
7,813 Posts
rollinstnd420 said:
i believe the stock CR is 10:1 so im look around a 9:1 would that be ok for a n/a motor than to add boost later next year??
I think by far you ask the most questions on this site. haha. jk bro. And i think you change your mind ever days on what you future plans are for you truck ;)

·
Josh
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know and im sorrry to all the guys that have to put up with my annoying questions all the times. it is just that b4 this website i had no clue about my truck at all and i wanna learn as much as i can so im not the guy who just takes it to the shop to get fixed. Plus no one will give me a concrete answer on the best direction to go!! if i go fi i can only go to a certain point than i have to build the motor. Why not do that first idk im sorry ill try to cut down the questions. I just want a really fast truck!

·
Hemi2nV
7,813 Posts
im just messing with you man. is your truck a 4x4 because you keep asking about the 4wd headers?

·
Josh
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea it is, and im just waiting to hear bak from a guy right now im going to be the first hopefull if they are out to try out the aem bruteforce longtubes, they are the poor mans dynatechs!!

·
Hemi2nV
7,813 Posts
rollinstnd420 said:
yea it is, and im just waiting to hear bak from a guy right now im going to be the first hopefull if they are out to try out the aem bruteforce longtubes, they are the poor mans dynatechs!!
sounds good...

·
Josh
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok hemiramon22's this is the last question i promise and i only want an answer from you and than this thread is closed. Which way should i go? Stroke out the motor and do 6.1 heads and intake? Or just go for the sts? thats it my last question!!!

·
Hemi2nV
7,813 Posts
sts

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
You can get the sts and stay with your stock pistons and internals up to around 9lbs of boost.

If you want to make more power than say 550hp at the crank, then you'll have to upgrade more than just pistons.

·
Josh
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i know i want to get the sts eventually but i want to build the motor now, and yes i know i need more than pistons, i was thinking low compression ross pistons, krc billet rods (dont know where to get the bearings for these?), crankshaft (either 6.1) or some stroker crank, On top of a 260 cam with the manley set, than some ported 6.1 heads and the 6.1 intake. Than grab the sts and see where i can go! Thats what im trying to put together. i know its not a complete list but im not engine builder so yea thats what i have come up with now.

·
Josh
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what my orginal question was, will like a 9:1/8:1 compression piston function in the engine until i get the super/turbo or will it have to wait and all go in at once?

·
the sky is the limit
1,311 Posts
lol

start with a superchips... then headers... then a verter.. then a cam.. then dream about sts... :D:D:D

·
Josh
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
how bout no and go away if u have nothing to say to me that isnt helpful, the headers are on their way, so is the cam. And while you do that ill be saying bye bye. Have big dreams and work your ass off. This is what i choose to do with the money i work my ass off to make man. peace

·
the sky is the limit
1,311 Posts
man calm it i was just picking around, hence the smiley faces at the end of the post.

·
Josh
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
im sorry dude just i hate people telling me i cant do this sh*t and that im to young and ill ever have enough money, but somehow it works out, In other words i wanna have fun with the big boys but i have to pay the big boy cost!!

·
the sky is the limit
1,311 Posts
lol dude i understand im only 17 im in the same boat.. just saving up cash from my part-time job and making the hemi roar...

and after christmas i might have enough to buy your wheels and tires :D:D

·
Josh
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yea i screwed myself on them i mean im 18 so yea, work constructioin it pays awesome and you get big and than we can have super hemi's!!

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
I hear ya about being working hard to get what you want. I'm only 20 and I'm in the process of moving out on my own, the money is getting tight. I think i'm going to have to sell my other project if i ever want to get anything done with this truck.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.