DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a while, I was concerned that my 04 Hemi was burning oil. It turns out that the engine will use oil down to the halfway mark on the dipstick, then stop. Really weird. I've tested this several times. I'll top it off, and it'll use it to that point and then stop using it. Any explanation why it does this?

·
Registered
466 Posts
My 4.7 does the same thing. It will use the first quart, and then nothing. If I fill it, it will use it. So I just stopped filling it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I heard a local guy say his was doing this in his durango 4.7. He tried everything to figure it out.The dealer finally figured out they or someone had put the wrong dip stick in his truck.This is just what he told me.They changed the dipstick and never a problem again,he says...But,I always wondered,where did the extra oil go? Maybe you can borrow a friends dip stick to check it out? Hope this helps...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sometimes, what appears to be oil usage is not that at all. Oils break down and even evaporate to a degree, moreso when they get very hot. Some evaporate more than others. Most of what I have read indicates that synthetics do so to lesser of an extent.

This however does not explain how your engines do this even after you have topped it off again. Logic dictates that only a percentage of the oil is new and therefore only a similar percentage of the original "oil loss" would present itself again.

An incorrect dipstick sounds more feasible. I have read that if an engine is overfilled, it can blow the oil out in several places (seals). It can also cause the crank to have to plow through more oil than intended. This causes oil to foam. This foamed oil is harder to pump and starves friction bearing surfaces of vital lubrication. This causes extra friction, which generates heat, which uses more oil.

The suggestion of getting another dipstick is a good one.

·
Premium Member
22,963 Posts
Yes, too much oil is not good at all. Adds pressure. But I don't know. A wrong dipstick would seem right -until you fill it up again.. then it should just stay there.. being that it's gone again.. is kind of odd. How long does it go before it does this? If its like a week - then you should:

A. See a puddle somewhere.
B. Should have oil smog near your exhaust tip
C. See blue smoke when up.. or is that white smoke....... can't remember now... *when the vavles are leaking*

·
Registered
423 Posts
The guy that changed his dip stick said he was overfilling by one quart or close.And the dip stick they put in cut it by one quart.Then that fixed it.I think there was a thread somewhere on (dakota durango board) ? i used to have a durango and remember reading it there too.I guess you could mark on your own stick where it stays after losing the quart.Then when you change your oil next,see how much oil comes out?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would think a dipstick problem could easily be checked at the next oil chnage easily. If an engine calls for 5 quarts without a filter cfhange and 6 with then change the oil without a filter change and only use 5 quarts and check the oil level on the dipstick after starting to make sure it is full. Wait a few minutes and check again. If you dipstick is wrong you whoud be under or over full. Most engines that say 6 with a filter change really aren't correct as most filters won't hold a quat of oil and even if the passage to the filter was drained it still wouldn't take a full quart.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
go with what kssea said

·
Registered
466 Posts
I add 6 quarts when I change the oil with a filter change. I use Mobile1 or AmsOil. The dipstick on mine is the exact same length as a friends 4.7 Ram. Dealer can't explain. I have no oil puddles, and no blue smoke while driving. I will get a little blue smoke upon starting if I leave it sitting for a week or so. I believe that it is burning it off, but since I drive mainly highway miles at 75-85 MPH, it probably dissipates faster than I can see it. Don't know, it's weird, but I have good oil pressure, verified with a mechanical guage, so it doesn't bother me.

·
^GM Goodwrench Certified^
2,918 Posts
Chrysler allows for 1qt/1000 miles under 50,000 miles and 1qt/500 miles after 50,000 miles

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.