DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving down the highway, when I let off the gas I hear a weird grinding/whining noise coming from what sounds to be the rear. When I get back on the gas the noise goes away or atleast isnt noticable through my exhaust. Any ideas to what this could be? My truck is a 2000 Ram Sport w/ 10" suspension lift incase that helps any. Thanks in advance

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Sounds like excessive lash in the rear gears or possible bad axle/pinion bearings.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 98 ram with 5.5 lift.I had a whine in the rear end.The dealer ended up replacing ring and pinion and all new bearings in the rear end.They told me that the pinion angle was way to far off specs.I had it speced at (2) diffrent drive line shops and they both told me it was only 1 degree off dodge spec.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright thank you both for the help. Looks like I'll be taking it to the dealership here soon to see what exactly is wrong.

·
Kinda Newbie
201 Posts
Could be bad news. My '97 did the same thing, only had around 35,000 miles on it, and wasn't lifted or anything, had stock tires even. It cost me over $1000 to have repaired at a dealer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.