DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a lil bit long, but any help is appreciated!! 05 1500 Reg cag, LB, hemi, 4wd
Ok, i'll try to explain this the best that i can. My truck has been making this noise intermittently for almost a year now, and now it seems to be happening alot more frequently lately. I first noticed it last winter, on the really cold days, when i shifted from reverse to drive and proceeded to pull away. But i dismissed it due to it just being cold. It's also been doing this since before i did any mods(listed in my sig) to the truck...but it has gotten worse since the mods.
Ok here goes, from a stop if i baby the truck, pretty much nothing happens, and i can drive away clean and everything's fine, however if i take off with a lil bit more power you can feel a vibration in the floorboard and your hear a "howling" noise in the cab, and it gets louder with more throttle, almost like if you lightly squeezed the rubber brakes on your bicycle as you spun the tire only alot louder. Its getting to the point now that i can hold the rpms and make this noise continually, until the truck shifts into second gear, then everything is fine, no noise, no vibes, no anything. There's no clunking, no grinding noises, no clicking, just this issue. Also if im stopped on an incline and proceed to turn onto a flat road the noise will return as the trucks suspension "rolls". I've even had an instance where this problem was so loud, and so much vibration, that it felt like the truck bogged down, until i gave it more gas to make it shift gears.

And no im not smoking the tires here!!!

I'm starting to think that i have some kind of driveline lash that i cant figure out. Is there a torue converter problem or a transmission or transfer case recall that i missed. I don't have the LSD, and i have 3.55's.
I've taken it to the dealer, thinking it was a u-joint or driveshaft issue, but everything checked out and was fine...in fact the dealer couldnt duplicate the problem...and neither could i at that time even with the mechanic riding shotgun. Im getting really annoyed with this. Any ideas???

Oh, i do about 90% highway driving, i dont really tow anything, and only do the occasional 4WD jaunt when we go camping( nothing too serious), and i use 4wd when it snows. I've only got 35000mi on the truck!!! and i just had the tranny serviced and its still doing it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
OK - so you have eliminated the U-joint possibilities. I've had two strange noises and vibration issues with my truck. The first, only happened in reverse, when the truck was cold. Turns out to be the emergency brakes not releasing all the way and vibrating when I backed up - you would have thought the truck was going to fall apart when it happened. The second was - believe it or not - low power steering fluid in the power steering pump. I heard and felt that one when the truck was stopped on a hill and I pushed down on the gas peddle to move forward. I can only figure that when the pump sped up with the engine, the pump was momentarily sucking air. Hope this helps

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This may also help too, it sounds to me like the noise might be coming from the rear of the truck(not completely sure though)..and also this isnt happening all the time either. I can drive for miles and have nothing happen..and then the problem will start again and be there almost everytime i start from a stop( really annoying in traffic). and like i said its only happening when i take off, it isn't doing anything once im underway.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rmcqcc said:
OK - so you have eliminated the U-joint possibilities. I've had two strange noises and vibration issues with my truck. The first, only happened in reverse, when the truck was cold. Turns out to be the emergency brakes not releasing all the way and vibrating when I backed up - you would have thought the truck was going to fall apart when it happened. The second was - believe it or not - low power steering fluid in the power steering pump. I heard and felt that one when the truck was stopped on a hill and I pushed down on the gas peddle to move forward. I can only figure that when the pump sped up with the engine, the pump was momentarily sucking air. Hope this helps
Hey..thanks for some info...i'm pretty sure its not the e-brake..i've already tried eliminating that as a possibility by engaging that(with more and more gradual pressure) while driving away from a stop. No noises or vibes there. I havent checked the power steering pump..but i'll definately check that before i leave work today.

Also whats really aggravating is that this problem doesnt just happen from a dead stop, i mean i can actually start to roll away, then give it some more gas and then it will happen. but as rpms build high enough it will go away...and it doesn't do it ever after truck shifts into 2nd gear. believe me its frustrating.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Checked power steering fluid..levels seemed to be ok(i checked it while hot like it says to), dipstick hard to read though, and got a big "gush of air" noise when i opened the cap. I dont know, i managed to stop by the dealer again today while i was on my delivery route, and service writer is completely stumped...im gonna try to bring it in again and duplicate the problem, again......still any more insight is greaty appreciated.

Oh and trading it in on a new truck is not an option at this time(just consolidated all my debts), so im kinda stuck with the truck for a while, but i love it anyway!!! just want it fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
850 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RENTALWHITEHEMI said:

Hey thanks for that link, i printed out that bulletin and am gonna take it to the dealer..maybe it will point them in the right direction...i dont have a 2 piece drive shaft..but i definately have a launch shudder. i'll keep ya posted and still any more insights are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well finally got the truck to act up with the dealer mechanic riding shotgun...it goes in on tuesday for service. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, well i got the truck serviced today...it looks as if one of the slide pins in the RR caliper had seized up. Dealer tried to pull some BS about me putting aftermarket pads and rotors on, and that they might not be able to fix it under warranty. After a few conversations with the service writer and manager, the truck got fixed and i only wound up having to pay an hour of labor charges.(im not gonna complain about that) So far there were no weird noises on the way home, and the shimmy that the truck had while breaking is virtually gone(might have some uneven wear, and im hoping it will clear itself out)..I'll post again in a few days, and a few more miles.

It's ironic, while i was there today another Ram owner was having the same issue, and had no idea on where to begin looking. I gave him the heads up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.