DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hey guys, lets not overlook to incredibly obvious... not that changing fluid is that expensive, or a bad thing to do as normal maintenance... but K.I.S.S. Hard steering can usually be fixed by adding air to one or both front tires. Check the tire presure before you go too nuts.
Who said anything about 'HARD STEERING' ???

·
Older, but no wiser.
989 Posts
Too little air presure will cause the tires to have a larger foot print. That means the PS pump has to work harder at low speed to turn the wheels. If the pump is weak or just being overworked, it will moan, particularly when the fluid is cold and "stiff" in the pump. That is why a lot of guys with big tires who do a lot of offroading will have aftermarket pumps and "Redneck Ram" helper pistons.
I wasn't trying to insult you, just looking for other ideas. If the air is good then you wont be chasing false symptoms. Keep us posted... Chris

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Too little air presure will cause the tires to have a larger foot print. That means the PS pump has to work harder at low speed to turn the wheels. If the pump is weak or just being overworked, it will moan, particularly when the fluid is cold and "stiff" in the pump. That is why a lot of guys with big tires who do a lot of offroading will have aftermarket pumps and "Redneck Ram" helper pistons.
I wasn't trying to insult you, just looking for other ideas. If the air is good then you wont be chasing false symptoms. Keep us posted... Chris
No worries brother! No insult taken. Thanks for the reply. I'm sure it's not a tire pressure issue though because when it makes this noise (which has only happened 3-4 times this winter) it does it on initial start-up and continues while idling in park and while driving until it slowly fades away.

BTW, tires are filled to 50 psi with nitrogen. Thanks & I will keep everyone informed if the fluid change helps. Still have not gotten around to even checking the level.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hey, how do you like the Nitro in the tires??? any difference?
No difference in feel. I do notice that pressure stays very consistent & never leaks down (even in cold weather). I just use it because I get it free. I wouldn't pay for it.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.