DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking about putting a 6 inch lift on my 04 dodge ram i was wondering if anyone knew how much strain it would put on my rear end and transmission?

·
Registered
481 Posts
6 inch lift and 35's is very popular around here and will look great! As for added strain, there will be more strain or problems than stock. But..you gotta pay to play!

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
I'm going to be clairvoyant for a minute & guess you mean a 1500 ??? You really should post what truck you have when asking questions on here. It helps some to better answer your questions. Front suspension, axles & frame are totally different than a 2500/3500 or Power Wagon. If it is a 1500, BDS lifts always gets good reviews.

·
MADBRAD
1,155 Posts
Like others said its more the tires and wheels than the lift. The larger tires/wheels add more stress on your front wheel bearings. The taller tires will change your overall gear ratio which puts more strain on your transmission and requires more effort from your engine to keep those tires turning. Changing your gears to 4.56 will return your gear ratio back if you run those 35" tires.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Theres a calculator floating around here for that. You type in the stock tire size and gear ratio, then type in the nre tires, and it calculates what gear ratio is needed to be back to stock power again so you don't stress the tranny, ect. Turns out I would need just over 3.92 (3.966) gears with my tires, and I'm going 4.56 so I will be way ahead of the game, and actually GAIN a good amount of torque and power even with larger tires:rck:

EDIT: Here you go. http://www.rocky-road.com/calculator.html

And another good one= http://www.ramblerman.com/blazer/gearcalc.htm

·
Ramistered User
6,420 Posts
2500, 1500?, 2wd or 4wd? tire size? rear gear ratio? details!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.