DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend recently got his ram with a 5.9 360 straightpiped and said that his truck has been less fuel efficient since then. I was wanting to get my truck straight piped as well (just for the sound). Does having straight pipes really influence gas mileage or horsepower ?

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
the sound aids in the leadfoot disease... i am running straightpipes and my milage has gone down a bit, but if i drive w/o revving so high it should improve a bit!

·
The Danger Dodge
339 Posts
it wont hurt gas mileage..but if u drive like a bat out of hell (Most people drive more agressive when pipes are added) then it will..

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Valves need back pressure and when you straight pipe it you have no back pressure so you will not have fuel mileage and most of the time you loose HP, not gain by straight piping

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have cut off the cat and put true duel 2-chamber flows on there. I still get the same gas mileage, but I drove it hard as hell before and after cutting off the cat, so I say go for it sounds real good, but I could tell a loss of low end torque under about 2500 rpms, but after that hold on cause it goes wild.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Straight through design mufflers like the DynoMax UltrFlo have no more backpressure than the same length of exhaust pipe. There is no excuse to run 'straight pipe' without a muffler when such mufflers are available. You are just causing noise with no benefit to either MPG or Torque.

·
Kinda Newbie
201 Posts
Yeah, but if you have a Harley "loud pipes save lives."

·
Registered
413 Posts
When I gutted my cats, I gained 50 miles per tank full in town. I do still have flowmaster mufflers though, also true duals with x-pipe. I didn't notice any low end loss either, but I did notice more power, and this was before I built my stroker.

·
Did I do that?!?
153 Posts
You can also find some of the lost low end torque by adding shorty headers. Back pressure helps torque qhile the high flow aids scavenging for top end HP. Its the trade off you have to look at. If you want a rock crawler or trailer rig keep the low end. If you want a Corvette eater, go fo the top end.

I'm just looking for the right Muffler to add to my 5.9L. It's still stock with only a TrueFlow filter (noticed a huge improvement in power and mileage over K&N $20 cheaper too). I want to keep the low end with a good sound, just not the volume (sound). I dont want my neighbors shooting at my truck to silence it.

Any suggestions other that flowmaster?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.