DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, I've got an 08 ram 1500 qc v8. I've been thinking about running straight pipes. Can I order the setup online and install myself or is this a complete custom job? Also, will this setup cancel my lifetime warranty? It's my understanding that as long as I don't mess with the internal components of the motor/drivetrain I would be ok. Also, to run a true dual would I have to buy a set of headers? Thanks for the advice guys, If all else fails I could just get an Aeroturbine exhaust and call it a day. :cool:

·
Pb Pes
155 Posts
ditto, badlandz

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have heard of those as well, does it give the same result? What I'm looking for is noise! With a cutout is the cat left in place, along with the resonator? I've never messed with exhausts before so I'm a little green, unfortunately.

·
Creature Of The Wheel
8,860 Posts
u'll get noise with aa electric cutout..:)

put it either after or before the cat, will be loud both ways.

Its a y pipe, u cut out some of your exhaust pipe, weld the cutout in place. It has a valve with a motor, u close the valve & your exhaust goes all the way through your system, you open it & the exhaust goes out the y-pipe & makes it loud.

·
Creature Of The Wheel
8,860 Posts
get some like 5x18" diesel tips, they will echo good.

·
Texas RAM Dude
3,643 Posts
Well as a former owner of a 'Vette with straight pipes, I can tell you that you will get tired of it! It was cool at first, but the sound eventually will get to you. LOL

For a year after, I was saying, "Huh? Huh?" to everyone...... :)

·
Creature Of The Wheel
8,860 Posts
Here's a better description:

http://www.dmhperformance.com/install7.JPG
^^^That's what the y-pipe looks like. That's a non electric one.

http://www.dmhperformance.com/install11.JPG
^^^That's an electric one with the motor. Wire it to a switch in your dash. Then press the switch for 5 secs & the valve opens like in the pic & the exhaust goes out the valve & bypasses the muffler/resonator & is loud.

Press the switch again for 5 secs & the valve closes & the exhaust goes through the rest of your pipe & your muffler/resonator & tips & is quieter like stock.

·
Creature Of The Wheel
8,860 Posts
i got a clip in my sig with a cutout, but its a 5.2.

I think most if not all true duals crackle & pop when you really get on it. With the cutout right after my cat, mine don't pop or crackle or backfire at all. With it open it goes thru my headers & cat, its just like a loud rumble/vroom...lol

·
Devil's Advocate
8,198 Posts
I agree, get a cutout! I wish I had, I'll fix that eventually.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
moe in wichita ks
be sure and use anti-sieze compound on all bolts. anti-sieze is good for EVERY bolt on the bottom of the truck. also put it on brake tubing nuts and bleeder screws. at 60k miles youll thank me. do NOT use cad plated bolts on ext systems. anti- sieze is a must on stainless steel bolts/nuts.

·
Certified M.D.
29 Posts
Well as a former owner of a 'Vette with straight pipes, I can tell you that you will get tired of it! It was cool at first, but the sound eventually will get to you. LOL

I agree 100 percent on this. I've always had loud exhuast but I put a muffler back on my 02 when I had it cause it just got too annoying.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
...we don't doubt it's gonna sound cool and loud (what you want) with straight thru's...but it's gonna sound like crap with mds activated...take it for us who have seen and expienced this in one way or another...like the guys say...a cutout will give you what you want, heck, keep it open all the time if you want...but, at some point, you want to be able to have a decent conversation with someone in the cab or listen to your radio without crankin it all the way up, plus, i myself don't want to attract cops when I'm sittin next to one at the light...so you gotta really think this through...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.