DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup guys i just got my dodge ram its a 95 1500 with a 5.9. My cousin has a older gmc 3/4 ton and he removed his exhaust and just put a pipe in between and it sounds pretty good. I was wondering if i did that would mine sound similar? I like the way it sounds at idle. Its not too loud you can only really hear it when its at low rpm, and on the hwy it doesn't drone at all. but i'm searched it on youtube and it sounds like the dodge is alot louder, but i'm just guessing they have a bigger piping diameter. So any help will be great guys. Thanks

·
Woodstock
762 Posts
Dodges are loud. A friend has a straight pipe where his muffler used to be and it is LOUD, but sounds good. Go for it.

·
RAM IT!!!
297 Posts
All i know is my 97 with glass packs is louder than any ford or chevy i have seen. Sraight pipes will make it freakin loud. I would say do it, all the way.

·
Car Show Detailer
99 Posts
I have stock manifolds, collected into the stock cat.....

then, nothing. lol i just took my exhaust off, and threw it in the yard

It's freakin louuuuud. truck's a 360/5spd, it makes those awesome popping noises when you let off in gear

·
Registered
746 Posts
I had the muffler rust (rust in AZ) and fall off my former 2000 Ram and it only had 2 ft of pipe after the cat. It sounded great. It wasn't crazy loud like open pipes but it was a LOT louder that the blowmaster that fell off!

·
Registered
123 Posts
This is what I did. I have pacesetter shorties to the stock y-pipe and cat, then a local muffler shop made this up for me its a resonator exactly like the one on the right in the last pic on the inside. Its prettty loud but the resonator doesnt make it sound "sloppy" like most short straight pipe exhausts. The only downside is I get quite a bit of drone with it being so close to the cab, I dont mind it but my girlfriend does :WHT:.

Attachments

·
Car Show Detailer
99 Posts
if you ever decide to sell that, let me know - mine's black/silver 2tone, but it's quadcab long bed, yours is my plow truck wet dream!

·
Dark Side Master
643 Posts
What exactly does that resonator do to the sound?

·
Registered
123 Posts
It muffles the sound a little bit but lets the air flow more free than a regular muffler

·
Dark Side Master
643 Posts
You have a sound clip of yours?

·
Registered
123 Posts
no but i'll try and get one this week

·
Registered
904 Posts
anybody have any ideas on removing rusted exhaust bolts? i was trying to remove them to take off the muffler but those f-ers are stubborn. i tried liquid wrench, tapping with a hammer, heating them up, all the classics...

sorry if this is off topic, i just thought it pertains to straight pipe exhaust so it ashould go here.

·
Registered
123 Posts
rent a cutting torch

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
bust it! i've had no prob w/ bolts up to half- grade 8 i can break w/ a long 1/2" drive bar. exhaust is week!

·
Car Show Detailer
99 Posts
bust it! i've had no prob w/ bolts up to half- grade 8 i can break w/ a long 1/2" drive bar. exhaust is week!
:rck:

and, in case you don't know what he's talking about, he means snap the head off the bolt...

if it doesn't work, lefty-loosey - just go the other way, and over -tighten the clamp - :ugh

We assure you - man muscles, and a breaker bar; will solve this problem. :thatfunny

·
Cant see me
1,210 Posts
A guy I knew had a 98 black one like mine and he had it completely straight piped 2 and 1/4 inch piping out to larger tips that were 45'd. It was so god damn loud that I thought 50 cal rounds were being shot when he drove it. He let me take it one time and I took it on the interstate with O/D off at 85 and flames shot out the exhaust when I let off. I'm going to eventually do the same except my tips will be straight back. Dodges definitely sound the best. Fords are the closest and chevys sound like complete shit, everyone of them.

I say straight pipe it. I just recently had a Y pipe put in where my blowmaster muffler was. I like it so much better without that pos muffler on there.

You can kinda hear it in this cold start, but I'll get a better one tomorrow for ya if you'd like...
http://www.youtube.com/user/YouraN1993R#p/a/u/1/mqOGXSk-mUE

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.