DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across a post on a GM forum, and a guy was talking about the crappy driveline loss on the new Rams. His thought was that the stock torque converter on the Hemi was inferior to those on GM's and Fords.

I know that all stock torque converters are inferior to aftermarkets ones. But do you think there is any validity to the guys statement? Could the converter be the reason for our higher driveline loss than with a GM, Nissan or Ford?

If so, I think it would explain a lot - but I'm not familiar enough with the mechanical details of a GM, Ford, Nissan or Dodge torque converter to know for sure.

·
Registered
489 Posts
The only thing I will say is that my conversation with Wayne at APS was very informative. He seems to believe the stock unit is pretty much junk and that we will gain power back by switching over to a better quality torque converter. I am probably going the APS route real soon, so I'll try to watch my gas milage over the next few tanks and compare it once I switch to the APS.

I swapped a converter out on a 96 Z-28 that I supercharged. I can't comment on the superiority/inferiority of the GM unit, but there certainly is a better selection of after market pieces for those GMs....I used a Yank converter in that set up. It worked wonderfully!!

Todd

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have a mild B&M TC in my old Jeep Wagoneer and it feels like it grabs and transfers power much much better then my Ram. A new converter is on my to-do list. But i need to do alot more research before i invest.

With my '03 when I turn O/D off, the converter will lock up in 3rd gear. When it's locked the truck feels much more powerful. I can really feel the torque the engine is putting out. I think a better made converter would really help our trucks.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jimmy TJ said:
I have a mild B&M TC in my old Jeep Wagoneer and it feels like it grabs and transfers power much much better then my Ram. A new converter is on my to-do list. But i need to do alot more research before i invest.

With my '03 when I turn O/D off, the converter will lock up in 3rd gear. When it's locked the truck feels much more powerful. I can really feel the torque the engine is putting out. I think a better made converter would really help our trucks.
I agree with you. It is on my to-do list as well, just not at the top. Before I joined Dodgetalk, ignorance was bliss! :D

Now, I have spend money on crap like headers, cutouts, torque converters, gears hehehe

·
ASE approved
8,859 Posts
i am working on getting a group buy going on a tq converter so if you want in look for it in the performance section.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.