DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys replacing your door speakers with? Is this the same company Infinity that makes replacement speakers because the 6X9 Infinity speakers I put in my Cougar a few years back would blow these cheap speakers away. It's amazing how cheap this system is.

·
Time Burner
210 Posts
Pioneer 6x9s in the front and Pioneer 6 1/2's in the back. Made a heck of a difference with the sound. I replaced them the day after I bought the truck.

·
Retired Guy
1,239 Posts
If you don't have the infinity system, just about any brand will work.
( If you do, I cannot advise on it, I replaced my speakers but didn't have the inifinity system).
Anyway, I went on crutchfireld .com and looked up what speakers fit our trucks, then went on ebay and other internet sites to find the best deal. Went with Pioneer in the front and rears.
HTH

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
I tried a set of Kenwoods first, 6X9 and 5 1/4. Then tried a set of Sony Explodes, 6X9 four way and 5 1/4 three way. Now that I've installed my amp and subs, I think I got the Sonys to live up to their name (I think I have a tweet that has given up the ghost...."Boom!).

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have Infinity Reference's (6x9,6.5) in my truck along with the pioneer headunit. 10x the sounds quality of the OE setup.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Second day I owned the truck the stock speakers came out (non infinity cuz I had em in my Durango and they sucked) and in went the Alpines and I'm very happy with them. Was a Pioneer man up until I tried these now its JL Subs and Alpine mids all the way.

·
Coolest Ram Club in FL
4,295 Posts
Jimmy TJ said:
I have Infinity Reference's (6x9,6.5) in my truck along with the pioneer headunit. 10x the sounds quality of the OE setup.

Im doing the same setup except my headunit is a alpine but in best buys the speakers sounded great

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
what can i replace the inifnity 6x9s with i am thinking of going with a better version of the infinty 6x9 cause the stoke infinity 6x9 sucks a fat one and i want to keep the stock setup i been there done that with all the boom and the best setup i had was in my old chevy i had 2 kicker L7 10s behind the back seat in my 4 door with all alpine highs and mids with the pioneer 60x4 mosfet headle unit ( no longer available) and i had a 2000 watt hifonics amp.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK...I didn't mention I DO have the Infinity sound system.

·
Registered
22 Posts
IMO.....Infinity reference series is the only way to go, unless you are running a
huge amount of power. Then, I would recommend the Kappa series.
I run the reference series powered by a Kenwood 600 watt 4ch. Its all you need to blow your ear drums.

·
Coolest Ram Club in FL
4,295 Posts
mdt429 said:
IMO.....Infinity reference series is the only way to go, unless you are running a
I run the reference series powered by a Kenwood 600 watt 4ch. Its all you need to blow your ear drums.
Sweet so i now know what will happen when i put an amp in!!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got Infinity kappas 3 1/2 in the dash running off a jbl amp 50x2 at 4ohms and 6x9 infinity reference in front doors along with a set of 6 1/2 infinity kappas component in the back doors powered by a 4x100 amp at 4ohms so still all infinity.

·
Registered
464 Posts
mdt429 said:
Not to hijack the thread, but....

Are the Reference series very bright? The Kappas I demo'ed were wayyy to bright for my tastes. I couldn't find anyone who had the Reference series on display, so I bit the bullet and ordered the 6 1/2" 6012i's and the 5 1/4" 5012i's for my RC (Crutchfield has/had them buy one get 1/2 half off second pair). They will be powered by a 45wx4, 120wx1 Alpine 5-channel amp. A 10" JL Audio 10w2v2 sub will handle the low-end, but I am worried the Reference series will be too bright. Any input?

Once again, sorry for the hijack. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
It all depends on how you run them off your amp cause my highs can be loud at times but I love them the way they scream I'm not using them for no bass just mid and highs I got 2 10" diamond audio for bass so I just have the gain control turned down on my amp for the high or else they would make ear bleed it all has to do with what you got and how you have them tuned cause I have a nice clean system not like all these people that just think that a sub is all they need and drive around listening to distorted speakers.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
i am with you on that one when you do a system you got to do the whole package not just a sub and amp

·
Registered
464 Posts
littlelouie84 said:
It all depends on how you run them off your amp cause my highs can be loud at times but I love them the way they scream I'm not using them for no bass just mid and highs I got 2 10" diamond audio for bass so I just have the gain control turned down on my amp for the high or else they would make ear bleed it all has to do with what you got and how you have them tuned cause I have a nice clean system not like all these people that just think that a sub is all they need and drive around listening to distorted speakers.
My "system" will be a minor upgrade at best. Basically, a stock RAH receiver (FM, AM, single CD w/MP3, satellite capable), 4 Infinity Reference series speakers in the stock locations (upgraded the doors to 6 1/2" instead of the 6x9's), and a 10" sub in a Hotbox. Everything will be driven by an Alpine 5-channel amp (45wx4, 120wx1 RMS), using a Scosche line level converter to feed the amp with RCAs. I'll turn the gain down pretty low on the rears to move the sound stage to the front.

And you are right....it's all in the tuning. I'll spend a few hours installing it all this week. But I'll bet I spend twice that amount of time tuning it. :cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
That is the beauty of Infinity they actually respond to all aspects of tuning.
If when you say bright you are refering to an excessive amount of high range
modulation, the amplifier was not filtered properly. If your amp is equipped with high and low pass filters on all four channels you will not be disappointed.
Everyones auditory range is a little bit different and all applications or installations will vary the sound produced by the speaker.
The best advice I can give you is to first make sure the installation is done properly, and second tune your sytem with a wide range of classical music
to best produce a true instrumental sound. Then go bang your head or raise the roof with the Hip Hop.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK....so the way to go for the Dodge Infinity system would be to replace with Infinity Reference, right? What's a good amp for these speakers? I'll work on the box for the back later. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.