DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is their any way i could fit half worn 305's on a stock 94 1500. becous i really dont want to get a lift

·
Banned
28 Posts
Im running 285/75's on my stock 99 qc sport and the inner fenderwells are missing a few of the plastic connectors an rub occasionally, 305's are basically 35" tires, maybe a 2 or 3 inch spacer lift and some add-a-leafs would fit nicely and cheaply

·
I disgaree...:)
2,032 Posts
There are poeple running them with no lift but they will rub bad. They rubbed on my Off Road version so I KNOW they will rub pretty bad on a standard 4x4. The MTR's in a 305/70 come out to about a 33-34" tire.

A 315 is closer to a 35" tire.

·
Registered
96 Posts
"There are poeple running them with no lift but they will rub bad. They rubbed on my Off Road version so I KNOW they will rub pretty bad on a standard 4x4. The MTR's in a 305/70 come out to about a 33-34" tire.

A 315 is closer to a 35" tire."

You can run them fine if you have a 16 inch rim. He has a 17" rim and the 305 for 17" rims are actually 34" tires. A 305/70/16 is only about 32.8 or9 inches tall it will clear on a stock wheel. :thatfunny

·
2,032 Posts
whiteram4x said:
"There are poeple running them with no lift but they will rub bad. They rubbed on my Off Road version so I KNOW they will rub pretty bad on a standard 4x4. The MTR's in a 305/70 come out to about a 33-34" tire.

You can run them fine if you have a 16 inch rim. He has a 17" rim and the 305 for 17" rims are actually 34" tires. A 305/70/16 is only about 32.8 or9 inches tall it will clear on a stock wheel. :thatfunny
I don't agree with the logic. The Goodyear MT/R 305/70 for a 17" rim is 34.1" and for a 16" rim it is 33.1". So if they rub on an Off Road with 17" rims AND 2" of additional height, then they should also rub on a standard 4x4 with 16" rims and WITHOUT 2" of additional height because the difference is only 1".

Now that all looks good on paper, but we both know the real world can be different, but I would be willing to bet that they will rub a good bit, particularly on the inner fender.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Also, don't forget about the increased width. That attributes more to rubbing (lower control arm rubbing) then does the height. I think a 305 will defiently rub on a stock height, non off-road ram.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteram4x

"You can run them fine if you have a 16 inch rim. He has a 17" rim and the 305 for 17" rims are actually 34" tires. A 305/70/16 is only about 32.8 or9 inches tall it will clear on a stock wheel.

I don't agree with the logic. The Goodyear MT/R 305/70 for a 17" rim is 34.1" and for a 16" rim it is 33.1". So if they rub on an Off Road with 17" rims AND 2" of additional height, then they should also rub on a standard 4x4 with 16" rims and WITHOUT 2" of additional height because the difference is only 1".

Now that all looks good on paper, but we both know the real world can be different, but I would be willing to bet that they will rub a good bit, particularly on the inner fender."
The 305 is the width of the tire. The 70 is the percentage of the width that makes up the side wall height. Therefore a 17 inch rim will require a 1inch taller sidwall to have 70 percent the width of 305. In turn a 305 70 16 will be an inch shorter because 70 percent of the 305 on a 16 inch rim is 1 inch less than a 17inch rim. I have seen a ton of stock dodges around my town that have 305's on stock dodge 16inch wheels. They don't appear to rub on the street. They probably will if you offroaded it much but I bet it will only rub the control arm. That will not hurt A thing. All this would also depend on the condition of the front springs, trac bar, etc. and the tire manufacturer. But I fell like you should clear them fine especially on the street.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Also a stock offroad only has 1 inch to 1.5 inches of lift from the suspension. The rest was made up from the tires put on from the factory. Also, I didn't notice but you have a regular cab. They usually clear larger tires stock than a quad cab because of the lighter overall weight.

·
2,032 Posts
whiteram4x said:
Quote:

The 305 is the width of the tire. The 70 is the percentage of the width that makes up the side wall height. Therefore a 17 inch rim will require a 1inch taller sidwall to have 70 percent the width of 305. In turn a 305 70 16 will be an inch shorter because 70 percent of the 305 on a 16 inch rim is 1 inch less than a 17inch rim. I have seen a ton of stock dodges around my town that have 305's on stock dodge 16inch wheels. They don't appear to rub on the street. They probably will if you offroaded it much but I bet it will only rub the control arm. That will not hurt A thing. All this would also depend on the condition of the front springs, trac bar, etc. and the tire manufacturer. But I fell like you should clear them fine especially on the street.
Yes, I understand all of that. However, it makes no difference, the only thing that matters is the OVERALL diameter which on the 16" is 33.1 and on the 17" is 34.1, that is per Goodyear. I still say they will rub the inner fender and the control arm, it is a given and others will tell you the same based on experience. A 33" tire on a stock 4x4 Ram rubs during regular driving when you turn the wheel to the locks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.