DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
andy
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do i modify my kegger intake on my own? changing plenum soon might as well see what i can do while im in there

·
Registered
268 Posts
if you have a 5.2 motor take about a 1-1.5 in off the runners 5.9 you can cut them all the way down... and if your truck is a 94-95 will have to deal with the egr tube inside and also if it a 94-97 you will have to cut of the divider

there is a diy on another site,,,, sliver_dodge did a great right up

·
Bridal Veil Falls
3,229 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
DF does the same thing

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
cut it! cut it good! cut it all the way down.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
i find that claim fascinating, since the m1 mani is significantly shorter and works well on all magnums. you can't go too short w/ a DIY mani.

·
Registered
268 Posts
well sure you can cut the runner all you want,, but no matter what motor size your going to lose TQ and gain HP, now are judgement of power we feel TQ on the bottom end( taking off) you feel more of a lost on a 5.2 do to the fact less TQ

and same the M1 works on all magnum style motors and the top end of the power band

now put that m1 on a 2 ton truck and you feel that the power band has moved up and a loss of bottom end TQ.. con peared to a lighter dakota witch is a good mod for them so on "all magnum" no depends on weight and truck

but you could regain the TQ with sum simple bolt on's

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
Myth!

·
andy
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah it is a 5.9. ive heard 1" of runners, cut out divider. Is the low end torque loss going to be noticable?

·
Registered
736 Posts
i cut off 1/2" of my runners and im going to be taking it back apart and cutting them down another 1/2" for a total of 1" removed. with only the 1/2" removed it feels like a gained a little in the low end and gained only a tiny bit everywhere else. truck does run and rev alot smoother but its coming back apart and i would suggest cutting atleast 1" off the runners, maybe more. i also put a stock tb back to and tested the stocker vs my home worked tb with the slightly modded kegger. it pulls alot harder with the bigger tb throughout the powerband. so i would suggest modding your tb when you mod the kegger, if you havent already.

also i think 98 or 99 through 02 doesnt have the center divider. im sure someone will clarify which year dodge started making the kegger without the center divider. i know my 99 didnt have the center divider

·
Bridal Veil Falls
3,229 Posts
Open up the thoat to 50+mm, replace the butterflies with larger ones...

·
Registered
736 Posts
yeah they sell 2" blades on ebay. they are actually for a carb and it is 4 of them for a little under $20 shipped. also 2" is roughly about 51mm

·
andy
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
is there a kit i can buy for that? what do you use to open up the throat? dremil? Is all this mod doing is allowing more air to the motor?

·
Bridal Veil Falls
3,229 Posts
Yes it allows more air into the motor and allows it to get in there smoother. Some use a drill press with an Milling bit. I don't know if there is a kit for the butterflies, someone knows I am sure...

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
i cut my runners down flush to the adjoining wall journals. cut the bells all the way down. this allows more direct flow from above from -the center/ instead of allowing air to bounce off the plenum and up into the journals. the stocker breaks up on dyno at 2000rpm. this is useless for passing gears and 4x4 high gears when the motor is forced to rev high. i could understand that a smaller displacement motor can receive to much air, but you can never flow more than what the TB allows. for the 5.2 guys it seems 50mil is good. the 5.9l guys cut out to 53mil. super charged, turbo, and nitrous guys have agreed that the engine can be better managed this way! no matter what engine, cut the runners down, the bells off, the center divider off, gently work over the injector holes- to remove the hard edges, "here's where the mistakes can be made!" the injector bosses can only open up so far, to over cut, "flare", the opening too far- will cut the injector seat out- you dont want to go too deep there!. replace the steel plenum pan w/ 1/4" alu 6061. i found the cleaning up process easyer with brake clean and foaming engine cleaner. just watch the shrapnel lift out of those long runners on cleaning foam!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.