DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I run the stock head unit and run a aftermarket amp to a set of components, or do I need to replace the head unit. I have a set of Focal Utopia's and a JL 300/2 and was just wondering if I can splice them in or if I need to replace the head unit. I would like to keep the stock one if possible.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
You could keep the stock headunit, but since you bought an awesome set of speakers (Focals are BADASS), why would you? Upgrading the HU would only make the sound quality better. And you can splice the the speakers into the existing wiring...that is what I did. JL Audio is also BADASS!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TTURedRaider09 said:
You could keep the stock headunit, but since you bought an awesome set of speakers (Focals are BADASS), why would you? Upgrading the HU would only make the sound quality better. And you can splice the the speakers into the existing wiring...that is what I did. JL Audio is also BADASS!!!
Yeah I have had them in a couple other cars over the years. Always with a aftermarket head unit. But I traded in the old car with my head unit, cuz I kinda bought on impulse :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi all. Hey grey, just my opinion, but if you are just doing a set of speakers and an amp, I don't think there is much to be gained from changing the head unit. Now if you were going subs, active crossovers, multi amps, etc then yeah. One possible benefit could be the aftermarket head unit may have a little more power available to drive your dash speakers, but they would need bass blockers. I really believe if you put the amp before the factory amp and only use the stock head unit as a preamp, you;ll be OK.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.