DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
instead of rebuilding my torn up rear im just going to pick one up whole at the junkyard. i called up the local yard and she asked me what gears i had. she said theres two diffrent ratios?? i did some serching and all i found was that its a 8.25 (because its a 3.9L, right?) but thast just housing size, no talk of ratios. also, whats my window of what i can use as far as year for a direct bolt on swap? thanks as always.
truck info: 96 dodge dakota sport 5sp 4x4 3.9 short bed single cab

·
Registered
133 Posts
look for a tag on one of your diff bolts.

Otherwise there should be a sticker under the hood showing what your truck came with.

Probably 3.55, but if you're lucky it's a 3.92.

·
The Cherry Express
3,846 Posts
Yes, if your lucky you have the 3:92, and you MAY have since it is a 5 spd??? And yes there should be info on the small metal tag's on the rear housing bolts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, i have 2 tags...... the one on the bottom bolt says "6156" :huh:

top says 35... although it could say 96, its pretty much a mess. i looked under the hood and it said 3.5 so no lottery win for me i guess, but atleast i know what to get. thanks for the help guys.btw, any clue what the other tag means?

·
Registered
133 Posts
You're lucky in terms of finding the easiest at the junkyard though. 3.55's are more common, although if you want more towing power, or want your truck to accelerate faster, you could do what I plan to, and ditch the 3.55 for a 3:92. Only thing you would need to do is swap the speedo gear in the tranny.

If you were local, I could sell you my 3.55 pretty cheap for when I get my 3.92, but I don't plan on swapping real soon.

Make sure you get some sort of warrantee, I did a real axle swap from a junkyard once, and the differential was screwed up. Luckily they had a 90-day warrantee, so I got my money back.

·
The Cherry Express
3,846 Posts
I think the 3.5 is the one that indicates gear ratio. So you have a 3:55, I looked at mine & it reads 3.9, & I know it is a 3:92.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.