DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Adding Headers, and Exhaust to my 01 5.2L I see the stock crossover is a heated and bent stock configration, with the wrinkles on the inside of the bend. Anyone out there have any experience with an aftermarket crossover with Mandrel bends. If there is one, does it help in performance? It seems to me, if you add the headers and the exhaust, the stock crossover is now the weakest link, and would cause some exhaust restrictions.
Is there a bolt up direct replacement to the stock? Does it make a difference?

Tanks,
Beatle

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm thinking about headers myself. What kind of headers are you going with? I've been looking at edelbrock, but I'm not sure yet. I also have the same question about the crossover/ y pipe on both my durango and my ram..

·
Registered
518 Posts
Well I think I'm going with the Edelbroch for headers, but the shorties that bolt dierectly on. Still investigating though.

·
pressurevac
179 Posts
I went with edelbrock headers and I am very happy with them. Here is a picture

As you can see they are the shortys which bolt directly on to the stock exhaust which I have also chenged to the Magnaflow stainless steel cat back system. I still have the stock 2 1/2 Y-pipe, but everything else is brand new and sounded absolutely WICKED! I had to put a glasspack in before my magnaflow to quiet it down a little!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
518 Posts
Those are the babies I was looking at, how much did they cost you?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Pressurevac, I had another question for ya. Your cai, what system do you have? Also do you have a rubber gasket at the throttle body where your cai meets?

·
pressurevac
179 Posts
well up here in Canada I found the headers on sale for $350 cdn, so thats like 275 US. My CAI is kinda a custom piece, and I am not sure which rubber gasket you are meaning? The one between the pipe and the plastic air box? Or between the air box and the Throttle body?

·
pressurevac
179 Posts
Absolutely not- just a direct bolt on - VERY easy!!

·
Registered
518 Posts
The gasket between the t.b. and the air box.

·
pressurevac
179 Posts
That gasket is a thick paper type of material, not rubber or cork.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just wondering!

I see conversations on adding headers, exhaust, but no mention of the corssover from the headers, to the CC. Anybody have experience on a better than stock crossover, or is ther any difference. It seems to me with headers on, and exhaust on, both providing better exhaust flow, the crossover, with it's wrinkles in the inside curves, would slow things down a bit. Make sense to anyone else?

Beatle

·
The Green Machine
1,722 Posts
Beatle said:
I see conversations on adding headers, exhaust, but no mention of the corssover from the headers, to the CC. Anybody have experience on a better than stock crossover, or is ther any difference. It seems to me with headers on, and exhaust on, both providing better exhaust flow, the crossover, with it's wrinkles in the inside curves, would slow things down a bit. Make sense to anyone else?
Seems to me that that would be the case - have you tried the Magnaflow forum in the sponsor section?

Here's a link: MagnaFlow.com

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have mid length headers on the jeep that has an aftermarket y-pipe. it took the pipe diameter from 2.5" to 3". Mine also had a huge crush zone on the passenger side where the oil filter is. This robbed alot of power from the jeep. I put mid length headers on and a 3" magnaflow cat and cat back system and picked up .7 seconds in the 1/4 mile. This was done a couple months after replacing the stock 2.25" cat-back with a 2.25" borla kit and a new catco high flow cat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.