DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Northeast DDRC Webmaster
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys. I blew my seperate amp. I know there is a stock amp behind the glove box. How do I get to that. I want to connect my 12" Sony Xplod to it. Can I connect it to the stock amp? How do I do that?

·
AKA: Justin
190 Posts
on the 01's its behind the passenger side kick panel, Im not sure if its in the same place on a 2000. not sure on the other stuff.

·
Registered
750 Posts
rar219 said:
Ok guys. I blew my seperate amp. I know there is a stock amp behind the glove box. How do I get to that. I want to connect my 12" Sony Xplod to it. Can I connect it to the stock amp? How do I do that?
I don't know if you'll wanna connect a 12" subwoofer of any kind to it. The amp itself can't be putting out more than 18-26 watts RMS x 4 channels, not enough to effecitively push a 12" subwoofer.

·
Northeast DDRC Webmaster
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But the radio is 320watts. It should be at about 80 watts x 4 channels. Damn. I thought I had my problem solved in connecting my sub to the stock AMP. Guys cmon...anybody else know?

·
Hummer Recovery Vehicle
6,250 Posts
it's not gonna do you any good to hook up a factory infinity amp to your sub, especially when you consider you're also having to power your door speakers. you'd be better off running the sub off your deck then you would from your stock amp.

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
You have the infinity setup?

·
Hummer Recovery Vehicle
6,250 Posts
that was more or less a joke about running it off a head unit, but you have a factory HU. just pick up another aftermarket amp, and upgrade to a different sub, never had good luck with sony subs, and i know a few people that have fried their amp because of them.

·
Gromit
278 Posts
Seriously, if you got the money for a sub, you have the money for an amp. Get a Jensen from Wal-mart if nothing else. I had a 300watt Jensen that i got for $99 that lasted 5years of use. Worth every penny as i saved alot and coupled with my JLw0 sub (yes w0 but still better than most) sounded better than most packages that people paid hundreds for.

Look on ebay, you can get great deals there. MTX, older RockfordFosgates are good and can be had for lower cost. Dont mess with the crappy stock Headunit or amplifier.

·
Registered
750 Posts
rar219 said:
But the radio is 320watts. It should be at about 80 watts x 4 channels.
80 watts x 4 MAX. In the world of audio, max means nothing other than the most it could put out for a very short period (burst) of time. You will only get about 18-26 watts RMS (usable power as it flows continuously) out a head unit or stock amplifier (unless it has a stock sub, then you might get 50 RMS).

I personally have never recommended Sony as a reputable car audio manufacturer because of their lack of commitment to quality. However, we will deal with what we have available. With your current sub, I would not recommend going with an expensive amplifier unless you plan to keep it to see a better sub and system combo. Like Leviticus said, if need be, go to wal-mart and pick up a jensen amp to run it, it won't sound the best, but it will get you by with what ya got.

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
02 infinity amp is 40*4

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.