DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to get new tires and I called a place who said my 17" wheels are only 7" wide???? He also said if I get any tire bigger than a 285/70 17 or 295 that my tires will wear out in the middle fast. I know I have seen alot of pics and trucks with the stock 17" aluminum 5 spoke wheels with 315's 305's and 33's... So are all those guys tires wearing out or does this guy have the wrong info.?
The place I called does alot of 4x4 tire installs too and he said he was sure but I am not so sure. Any ideas? I want the pro comp xtreme at 305/65 17's or some bfg 305 or 315's or anything bigger than what I have on there now 275/70 17.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody with a stock 00 01 ram 4x4 off road with the "off road" 17" aluminum 5 spokes want to chime in.. I think my wheels are 8" wide not 7" like he said. I cant find where it says the width of that rim.

·
Registered
94 Posts
offroad rims are 17x8
I ran 36x13.5x17 Irok Radials on them for a while with no problems

·
Ram x2
398 Posts
Off Road Edition wheels are 17" x 8" and have a 5+" backspacing. You can run a 315 on them, but you may have to adjust your tire pressure down quite a bit over what the tire is rated fr so that you get a good "contact patch".

I have 17" x 9" wheels and I am running a 38.5/14.5/17 which is a bit wide for my wheels as well. I have to run them at 26psi to get a good flat contact patch.

As long as you are aware that you are putting a wide tire on a thinner rim and you watch your tire inflatiuon and wear, you will be fine. They tell you that so that they can try to talk you into new wheels!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.