DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4x2 1500 and do not like the stance of it and how it looks right now at stock. I really do not care to lower it for my own reasons and I did want to lift it, but it's become such a common look here in California and I only have 3.55 gears. I have searched through some older threads but still remain to be confused and just not confident with my understanding of these questions:

1. With the Daystar 2 1/2" coil spring spacers in the front, what kind of shocks should I go with? I believe some people say you don't need the shocks but I wouldn't mind going out and getting some just so the ride isn't stiff.

2. With the truck leveled out by lifting the front 2 1/2", what are the biggest tires I could fit on a 17x9 rim without any rubbing? I really like the look of these rims http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/Store_Detail.cfm?ID=132619&InfoID=2505&ShowLarge=True and haven't seen anybody in my area with black rims and think they would really complete the look I want to go with.

3. With the new rims and maybe bigger tires, would I experience much power loss because I am running the 3.55 gears? I figured I'd stick to 17's so that I don't add more weight but will the minor lift and bigger tires affect me?

Any help is greatly appreciated, if you need to know any other information about the truck, let me know.

·
You Seen it Here 1st.
394 Posts
With the Datstar spacer you will be able to run a 33in tire. You will not notice a huge power loss, just a small one. I also have 3:55's but with the hemi and I ran 35's. Check out my cardomain link in my sig. You will notice more a a drop in MPG than any thing.

As far as the wheels, they will not work on your truck. The 17's can not be a reverse mount wheel. The Helo Maxx is a Reverse wheel, you will need to go to 18in to run that one.

Good Luck

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure? I used that website to do a search for black 17's that would fit the ram, and those one's were listed. I do believe you over a computer though but I just wanted to make sure that you were sure.

Can anybody help me with what shocks to go with??

·
You Seen it Here 1st.
394 Posts
I work for Discount Tire Co. and we have tried a lot of wheels on the new dodges, and those do not work. If you wanna run a 17in wheel you need to find one that is not a reverse mount wheel. You can run 18in or bigger reverse mount wheel.

Most of the wheel websites just show the correct bolt pattern, once you call them they normally tell you that a wheel will work or not.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok... so 18's it is. Any idea on a good shock that won't give me too stiff of a ride? I have never really messed with suspension so I am pretty much in the dark over here.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Bilstein 5100s seem to be a popular shock. You should only run the stock length in the front otherwise your suspension will top out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
zoom said:
Bilstein 5100s seem to be a popular shock. You should only run the stock length in the front otherwise your suspension will top out.
Wait, so are you saying to run the stock shocks in the front and use the Bilsteins in the back? I really have no clue with suspension so I am a bit lost.

RAJ, my home is in L.A. but I live and work in Riverside cause thats where school is (UCR)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ohhhh ok... when I read stock length I thought stock shock in my head for some reason. I've done a few searches for the spacer and can't seem to find any packages, Raj. Another quick question... the spacers that fit the 03-04 1500 2wd will also fit the 05's right? They havent made any changes to the coil springs have they?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Check performancelifts.com , they have good info, also check 4wheelparts local store near u.

heres a quote from performancelifts website:
Please note, the front shock absorber on the 2wd Dodge Ram 1500 is what limits the amount of suspension travel. The engineers designed the Ram this way and it's wise to not alter the shock length on this vehicle. If you replace the factory front shock with one that is longer at full extension you can cause damage to the front suspension. By over-extending the front suspension the upper control arm ball-joint can bind and quickly wear out. The other problem is if the front suspension travels too far the upper control arm will knock against the top of the frame. For these reasons PerformanceLifts.com ONLY sells stock length shock absorbers for use with the CST 3" leveling coil springs! That's right, the 3" lift coil springs require the use of STOCK or STOCK LENGTH replacment front shocks!

I have a 5" lift - cst spindle + 1" coil spacer. ;)

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.