• Have a manual, but want an auto

Votes: 2 1.2%
Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Gonna Make It. . .
858 Posts
I've had my V10 truck with an auto trans for 13 years. I love that thing. It will pull with ease, and when I am accelerating, it will continue straight to 100 mph without hesitation between shifts.

But, I have often wanted a stick. Never owned one before. So I got the 6-speed in my Power Wagon. Just had to do it.

Well, I was the other person that voted have manual, wished for auto. The PW is fun to drive with the stick, but I think that it would have been an overall better choice with an auto.

It has become a PIA to shift all the time, and I do a good mix of city driving. In my auto truck, I can drive while having a drink in my hand, I can fiddle with the radio, talk on the CB. It seems that very often, I have to make a shift while I am preoccupied with something else. Also, not so much anymore, but in the beginning, for the first six months or so, I would do stupid things, like be in 5th and have a light change to red, and I would just touch the brakes without pressing the clutch. Until I came to a slow roll and the truck would start to shake. Then I would remember, oh yeah, I'm in a stick. . . . :rolleyes:

About the acceleration thing, I'm much faster off the line in the V10. I think that it is a faster truck, but having to clutch and shift slows my acceleration just enough. I have to remember that I'm in a truck, not a sportscar. So it shifts like one.

Also, in the PW, when I do take it offroad, it would be much easier to wheel with an auto. No drifting back on the trails, and I would be able to feather the gas very lightly to get rolling on slick stuff, instead of causing the tires to spin ar roasting up the clutch.

But, I just had to be a 'real man' and get a stick. :cool:

·
Black Sunshine!
994 Posts
Have a manual and like it that way if it not a manual I HATE driving it :mad: MANUAL MAN!

·
Registered
70 Posts
A stick makes you feel more connected to the car not to mention, my car doesn't shift when I think it should ( I know I drive a Honda and that is my first mistake) and people just look hot shifting ;)

·
Where is the snow?
4,118 Posts
Depends.....I like the d being an auto, and my Jeep an auto for DD, but sometimes I wish my Jeep was a stick. More fun factor!

·
GetALittleMudOnTheTires
8,389 Posts
i love to drive stick but its a PITA when your stuck in traffic everyday, so i drive auto

·
The Pontoon!!!
1,432 Posts
sticks are better they get u better fuel economy and way better PERFORMANCE its also easyer to do a burnout

·
Registered
69 Posts
My Z28 is a manual and my wife's Neon is an auto. I like manual because you are more in control of the machine, but damn do I hate stop and go traffic. Also a bitch to launch sometimes :D.

I like auto because stop and go traffic is no problem. But I don't like the lack of control/integration you have with the vehicle.

·
Where is the snow?
4,118 Posts
My LR3 has the perfect set up....it can be driven as a 6 speed manual...

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a hate/love relationship with my 6-speed. In heavy traffic I hate it, but out on the open road I love it. The biggest downside about having an '08 4.7 6-speed is the lack of tuner options. Maybe it would have been smarter to get the auto, so I coulda got a Superchips. My next truck is definitely going to be an auto.

·
The Pontoon!!!
1,432 Posts
i like my moms 06 chrysler pacifica its got the 4 speed autostick so you can pop her in drive or in manual without the clutch its the best of both worlds

·
Ram Head 13
31 Posts
auto

all depends on what ur driving no question... for my ram 1500 4x4 it auto and i like it that way! lol

·
Registered
167 Posts
I enjoy the manual trans unless my babe's in the car. Then the auto's nicer.
All my rides are auto.

·
Premium Member
27,633 Posts
My Ram has an automatic and I like it that way.

My Viper has a manual and I like it that way.

Attachments

·
Yeah its gota slant six\6
216 Posts
i dont understand why people get so flustered with a manual in traffic. You just need to know how to work a clutch. Ive sat in rush hour plenty of times and not once complained. Id rather have my manual than an auto cuz its fun to drive and i like being able to select my own gear. if i ever had an auto itd have a manual valve body.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
i drive a kw with a 13 speed. had a daytona with a 5 speed. sometimes when i get home i'll reach for the stick in my truck. she has a 4 speed auto but if i could i'd get a manual for her.

·
Skid's Customz
2,020 Posts
auto in everything except for sport cars and srt-10 rams.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.