Votes: 2 1.2%
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
what's your left leg doin
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
.....I got your point, just wanted to make mine.

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
We are talking street vehicles. Haven't seen a top fuel car driving down the road lately........
I would bet that SOME of the guys buying 09 R/T and SRT Challengers with the 6 speed will race them ....

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
I would bet that SOME of the guys buying 09 R/T and SRT Challengers with the 6 speed will race them ....
And the guys with the 09 R/T's and SRT Challengers will beat them.....

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
And the guys with the 09 R/T's and SRT Challengers will beat them.....
I bet not always - especially if the guys know how to drive. It IS true that any bozo can drive an auto down a drag strip, however ... whippee what fun, I saw the light turn and pressed the gas ...

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
LOL, thats how you think you drag race?

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts

·
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
There are two sides to this as far as drag racing (street) cars (or trucks) goes.

The auto is more consistant. If the driver gets a good reaction, and hooks on launch, and is driving an automatic, from there on out he is just along for the ride....assuming he can keep it straight. Unless he has a manual valve-body. Still no worries about missing a shift.

A stick-driver has more work to do on launch (modulating the clutch) and still can beat himself if he misses any shifts. But......then there is the reward/satisfaction one gets by becoming more of an integral part of the equation.....and also putting more power to the ground.

With the turbo diesels......I get it.....the auto lets you stay on boost longer/more....and that will make a difference. If there was a fast-shifting manual that could hold the tourque....things would be different though.

If I were to square off against the automatic equivilant of my truck......do you really and honestly believe I'd lose?
Only way that's gonna' happen is if "I" screw up....and while possible.....ain't too likely.....:D

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
There are two sides to this as far as drag racing (street) cars (or trucks) goes.

The auto is more consistant. If the driver gets a good reaction, and hooks on launch, and is driving an automatic, from there on out he is just along for the ride....assuming he can keep it straight. Unless he has a manual valve-body. Still no worries about missing a shift.

A stick-driver has more work to do on launch (modulating the clutch) and still can beat himself if he misses any shifts. But......then there is the reward/satisfaction one gets by becoming more of an integral part of the equation.....and also putting more power to the ground.

With the turbo diesels......I get it.....the auto lets you stay on boost longer/more....and that will make a difference. If there was a fast-shifting manual that could hold the tourque....things would be different though.

If I were to square off against the automatic equivilant of my truck......do you really and honestly believe I'd lose?
Only way that's gonna' happen is if "I" screw up....and while possible.....ain't too likely.....:D
If its the exact modded truck, yes you will loose everytime.....

·
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
If its the exact modded truck, yes you will loose everytime.....
:thatfunny....................:crazy:

C'mon, seriously........you act like ALL manuals cars/trucks are slower than automatics.
You know that's not true.

Hey wait.... the viper is dodge's "halo vehicle", how come they don'y offer it with an auto?
........We both know why........so c'mon.

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts

·
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Hey Andy - how you been? I got a kick out of this guy who ran a record 8.04 @ 185.2 in his 6 speed Supra. I would love to learn to learn to drive a beast like this because even if you loose - you win ;)

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2634111&postcount=1

Hey Gary- I'm doin' okay. Been more or less content with my truck and haven't been posting much. But I still try and check in here to see what everyone's up too.

Just watched those vids, neat car. But I gotta say.....is it just me....or did the in-car vid look a tad slow on the shifting?

Either way....still one heck of a ride!

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
We aren't talking about a gas powered car, we are talking about a turbo diesel. How do you build boost off the line? How do you stop from loosing boost on the shift? Proven fact auto's are faster than sticks in turbo diesel pickups. Why does nobody use sticks in race cars anymore?

·
Registered
35,850 Posts

·
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #75 (Edited)
We aren't talking about a gas powered car, we are talking about a turbo diesel. How do you build boost off the line? How do you stop from loosing boost on the shift? Proven fact auto's are faster than sticks in turbo diesel pickups. Why does nobody use sticks in race cars anymore?
No.....you are talking about a turbo diesel. I already said "I get it" in regards to that.
I was talking about my 4.7L 6-speed vs an identical truck with the 545rfe automatic.
You said I'd lose every time......I strongly disagree.

.......and back to the race car part (again)....like I said a few posts ago....since when did they start using auto's in top fuel?

Both types of trannies have their strengths and weaknesses in different applications. Niether one is the be-all and end-all of anything.

edit:
BTW, that was quite the wild ride in that stang!

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
That was Andy's last trip down the track. Nobody will line up beside him now. He proved he is a danger to himself and everyone around him. If you watch when he crosses the line the only thing that stopped him from wiping out was pulling the shoot at the right time.

As for top fuel, aren't they all using 2 speed powerglides with trans brakes?

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
And sorry, I didn't look at your signature and thought you had a CTD. You are right in a low HP gasser. You can come off the line much quicker with a clutch than an auto.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
And I just looked up to see what Top Fuel uses. Its a ONE speed transmission, there is no shifting

they are only one speed forward and reverse. When they do the burn out they fully engage the clutch to spin the tires. Then they use reverse to back up to the line. Then they launch to race a pnumatic system slowly engages the multi step clutch allowing it to slip to keep the wheels from spinning. By the end of the race the clutch is fully engaged and has welded itself together from all the heat. They use a new one every race.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I wanted a manual, couldn't find one anywhere close. So I settled for an auto. My fiance wanted me to get an auto to so she could drive it and know that I have had it for two years she still has never driven it, keeps saying it too big. I like the auto in traffic, less work but really like the manual because of the control.

·
Registered
296 Posts
God i wish my ram had a manual tranny. I love driving it now but having a stick would be awesome

61 - 80 of 97 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.