Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
what's your left leg doin
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Austere Bear said:
StickShiftsRule on these heavy snow laden grafton county mountain roads, not having to use the clutch when already caught in a slide really helps out.
LOL.......winter is when I like having a manual the most....More control.

·
Registered
83 Posts
straight shift all the way! They're cheaper to buy, operate, and maintain. I don't have to worry about anybody wanting to borrow my vehicle 'cause nobody knows how to drive stick anymore or wants to. I've had two auto trannys die on me and I've seen a lot more give out of others. I'll pobably never drive another unless its new under a long warranty. And another thing, whats with these people that can barely drive a stick, I mean its a hell of a ride the whole way. Like the only way to operate the clutch is dropping it in and out of every gear. I like to drive it smooth like you can't even feel the gear transitions, unless I want to.

·
AirFuelEddie
5,443 Posts
Plus not a whole lot of recalls on manuals. Not like the current Chrysler recall on Auto equipped vehicles currently in effect, mini-van, Dakota, ect all autos. Sorry I dont have a link.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Put in 4 million miles with a stick and you will appreciate an auto. I got my 4 million mile safety pin just before I retired in May.

·
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Ram3500Dually said:
Put in 4 million miles with a stick and you will appreciate an auto. I got my 4 million mile safety pin just before I retired in May.
:D ......Show me an auto that can last 4 million miles...... :thatfunny

I bet there are big-rigs out there with that many miles and more on their gears.

Seriously.....I know what your saying, and they have thier good points as well.
It just gets me how many members on here go on about wanting a manual.....
and how many actually buy/drive one. :WHT:

·
Registered
988 Posts
i know!!! andys right, here i am with my sencond auto ram, still wishing i bought a manual!
one day haha

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Ya know, rural america a manual is fine, here in the city of frikin millions, no way would I drive a manual. Not to mention launching the boat......

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
ultimate ram said:
Ya know, rural america a manual is fine, here in the city of frikin millions, no way would I drive a manual. Not to mention launching the boat......
Well, how about suburban america ;) Geesh, let see ... you live in a state with no snow, a total change in elevation from sea level to about 100 feet, and you still would not drive one? How much easier can it get? :huh:

Try driving in the Rocky mountains during a blizzard and drinking a coffee at the same time ... and I STILL love my manual tranny :D

You are correct, however, the boat would be a pain ... for girly men!

Sorry man - just messin with ya ... to each his own. I know I am a dying breed ...

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
After shiftin gears for over 4 million miles I'll stick with my auto :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Automatics really shine in certain situations...BUT I love shifting through the gears of a manual trans. The fun factor is way up there. The manufacturers seem to be phasing manuals out, though...And the dealers order most of their rigs with automatics. I made my mind up that I wanted a 1500 SWB with a V8, manual trans, and limited-slip rear. Had to special-order it, and couldn't get a Hemi. But I am more than happy with my little Ram. Traded-in an '01 Dak R/T to get my Ram...Best trade I ever made...That 360 ran out of breath quickly when revved-up; the auto trans was no fun at all; the brakes were marginal; and the handling was terrible, considering the lowered suspension and fat tires. The Ram is a better rig in all respects, IMHO. I know, I'm ranting, but I don't care.

·
Registered
97 Posts
This is always a toss up for me because manuals are a blast to drive.

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
auto wins races
So lets see, about 0.1% of the people who own Rams race them - if that, and of those guys, 99.999% of the time they are not racing, so yea that is important. Oh and if I did race, I would way rather loose driving a stick than win driving an auto ...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Don't care if "auto wins races". My truck has never been on a track, and probably never will be. But I enjoy running through the gears on the street every day. I'm 61 years old, and I'll be a stick shift guy 'til I croak. It's the only way to go, IMHO.

·
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
So lets see, about 0.1% of the people who own Rams race them - if that, and of those guys, 99.999% of the time they are not racing, so yea that is important. Oh and if I did race, I would way rather loose driving a stick than win driving an auto ...
.....Exactly!

More to the point.....auto's win races where?
Top fuel?....nope, no tranny at all......but they DO use a clutch.
Indy cars?......nope
Nascar?.....nope
Pro stock? They still use lenco's don't they?
Road racing? (IMSA/GTU)

Racing where consistancy is most imortant...ding! ding! ding!
There are fast auto's out there, and I respect that, but I don't think they dominate.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Nobody uses stick shifts drag racing anymore. They all use auto's with high stall torque converters.

·
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
didn't know they made use of high-stall tourque converters in top fuel.............but technically your also right.....since the "shifting" is done by a multy stage clutch.
I know there are lots of divisions where an auto will (and does) shine.....but not in the uppermost/ fastest of the sport.

Perhaps my responce to "auto wins races" should have been....So do manuals....and they are more fun do drive....cheaper to own....and maintain.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
We are talking street vehicles. Haven't seen a top fuel car driving down the road lately........

·
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Wouldn't that be fun though.......:D

I thought we were talking about racecars, not street cars.
......after all the quote was "autos win more races"

41 - 60 of 97 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.