DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 glaval primetime. Someone gutted the factory stereo wiring harness. I wired in a cd player but some of my speakers dont work when the switch (radio/rear radio/tv/aux) is turned. does anyone know what wire goes to what for this van. Found factory colors but that doesnt help me when it comes to the conversion package. also does anyone have any ideas for front speaker placement cause the factory spots just play music against the front seats. and you cant hear it. When my kids are in the back i turn the music to the front cause it gets too loud in the back.

·
Gone but not forgotten
1,288 Posts
I recently put in a different after market radio/cassette player I had stored in the garage into my van. The original speaker wires (Front Door Speakers) for the factory unit went to what would be the back speakers. I installed two spare speakers from an old home surround system about 6 inches behind the seat at the roof line. Since mine is a Cargo Van I attached them to a cross member and ran the wires in the roof inside trough and down the a pillers to under the dashboard and around to the radio and hooked them up as the "front speakers".

I do not have any electrical schematics for the conversion vans.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok I guess i will just have to take the time to test all the wires. The most confusing part is knowing what speakers the switch uses for all the different switch modes.

·
Gone but not forgotten
1,288 Posts
If I am understanding this right you have a separate switch that takes in the inputs from the different sources such as TV, Front Radio, Rear Radio, or AUX input? Which means the switch lets you hear the sound from the selected source. If so then it may only handle one set of inputs (front OR rear speakers) from the source such as your CD player. You may have to let the switch put the music to all of the speakers. If indeed that is the case then you could mount you some speakers up front for you and have them dedicated from say the CD front speakers and wire the rear speaker from the CD player into the switch and then adjust when you want the sound up front only or also in the back.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i have a problem with my volume. If you turn up the music too high the cd player cuts out. I think it may be do to the factory speakers in the front doors. They may have some kind of bass protection so that they dont blow. All other speakers are aftermarket. Do you guys have any ideas.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well the battery is good. It has cut out ever since I hooked up the front door factory speakers but was fine before that. Which leads me to believe they either have a factory safety feature or 6 speakers is just too much for the stereo but i figure since its an aftermarket cd player it should have enough juice because it has more wattage than the factory stereo did

·
Gone but not forgotten
1,288 Posts
Check the speaker ohm's in the wiring. What may be happening is that the ohm load of the wiring is less than the radio is designed to handle. In this case the radio will try to overdrive the speakers for there is not enough resistance or even if the resistance is to high. Most radios want between 4 and 8 ohm resistance from the speakers.

Two weeks ago I installed a radio in a car that had the original wiring harness connectors cut and removed. Printed an electrical schematic and connected the new radio to the old wire bundle. Had to two light green and two dark green wires left over, one set went to the steering wheel radio control which did not ever exist and the other set went to the right door speaker. Used my DVOM and tested the combination until I had 4 ohm resistance. Hook the right front side radio speaker wires to them and had sound at the speaker.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.