DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what could cause this or if i should go back and complain about it.. i mean the steering wheel is pretty bad.. the alignment doesn't even seem to make the truck go straight but its hard to tell.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I'd take it back and tell them to lick their calf over. the steering has to be centered with the tie rods when the toe in is set. :gr_patrio

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they said to me.. the toe was off a little in the front, and that theres no adjustable camber. the wheel itself seems like it has some play in it or something.. but my truck still pulls to the left a little.. but that tire is a little chewed up too.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I didn't notice that you had a 4x4, but I still would take it back and see if they would put on the rack and check it again. :gr_patrio

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they showed me the spec sheet after.. it was all green and the front were both .4 i believe.

why do they have to do a 4 wheel thrust?

how can i check they even did anything lol.. i felt like i was only there for 10 minutes

·
Ram x2
398 Posts
Only toe and caster are adjustable on your truck. Out of those two, only toe will lead to abnormal tire wear.

Your Caster is adjustable with the cam bolts on the control arms. Usually you want the "split" to be about .2 with the passenger side having more positive caster than the drivers side. This is what keeps your truck driving straight down the road (all other things equal), when there is a crown in the road. If caster is set to where it is "even", then the crown in the road would constantly pull you to the right. Misadjusted caster does not effect tire wear however, it just results in pulling and poor return to center of the wheel.

Toe is the measurement of how your tires are pointed if you were to look at them from the top. Generally on a 2nd Gen Ram 4x4 you want "0" - ".12" of toe which keeps your tires straight or slightly toed in. If toe is misadjusted, it will shred a tire quickly and also lead to a "pull". This is the most common adjustment made to our trucks because camber is not adjustable (unless the ball joints have been replaced with problem solvers), and caster is rarely needed to be adjusted (unless somebody just put a lift kit on or the truck has been in an accident).

After the toe is adjusted, the steering wheel is then straightened out by adjusting the sleeve on the drag link. This procedure ahould be done by every alignment tech at the end of the alignment. This is what centers your steering wheel.

Sounds like you need to take it back. If it still drives weird, try swapping your tires on the front to the other sides. If the problem reverses itself, you have bad tires......seen that more times than I care to admit.

Bad shocks can also cause a tire to chop and wear abnormal so check those too.

Dodge Rams are notorious for having hub bearings and ball joints wear out as well. The alignment tech should have checked for these, but could have missed them. Then he sets the alignment as best possible and by the time it's off the rack, the looseness in the ball joints or hubs creates a bad driving experience and you think it's the alignment when you have other parts that are worn out.

Lots to look at and everyone thinks an alignemnt solves everything, but usually by the time somebody brings in a vehicle for an "alignment", it needs a few other things too.......lol

Hope you get it resolved quickly and happy new years!

·
The Green Machine
1,722 Posts
sony224422 said:
they said to me.. the toe was off a little in the front, and that theres no adjustable camber. the wheel itself seems like it has some play in it or something.. but my truck still pulls to the left a little.. but that tire is a little chewed up too.
To go along with Bill's post, try the tire swapping idea and see if the pull goes away.

To correct the steering wheel play, try the procedure in the following TSB:

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1997/19-10-97.htm

·
Registered
244 Posts
Take it back you paid money to have the job done right??? take it back and ask for the manager and talk to him and only him..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.