DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know my alignment is not that great right now and i have to get it aligned, but does that affect the braking system? i mean, when im driving and i press on the brake, the steering wheel shakes real hard...

·
Registered
740 Posts
This is usually a sign of warped brake rotors. If you can find someone who turns rotors you can save some $$. If not your stuck w/ replacements. Good oppurtunity to upgrade to some fancy drilled or slotted high performance models. Also try rotating wheels to eliminate bent rim or out of round tire.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
agreed. most likely warped rotors although sometime when the wheel is installed improperly you can have bad lugnut torque that can warp wheel. If this goes on too long though, you may warp the rotor from the improper lug torque.

·
PAID OFF!
1,262 Posts
regans5 said:
This is usually a sign of warped brake rotors. If you can find someone who turns rotors you can save some $$. If not your stuck w/ replacements. Good oppurtunity to upgrade to some fancy drilled or slotted high performance models. Also try rotating wheels to eliminate bent rim or out of round tire.
I definetly agree that it is warped rotars, that is the only thing it could be, and to check if they are warped just go to a local mechanic or a sears or walmart of sams club if you have any in your area. if the mechanic tells you u need new ones they can run you from 70 to 150$$

·
Spending
1,786 Posts
they can sand them down also, u can try that with a sander and really good grade sand paper if u can manage to get to um

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
MadMike05 said:
they can sand them down also, u can try that with a sander and really good grade sand paper if u can manage to get to um
what?? You cannot fixed warped rotors by sanding them. The only way to fix is to replace the rotors or to machine them with the proper equipment.

·
Spending
1,786 Posts
well, not exactly sand paper. Its a metal disk the does the same thing as sand paper on wood, ill try to find a link on it.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
unless it is hooked up to a machine that will control the tolerance of the rotor and the material removed, it is NOT a valid way to fix warped rotors.

To properly resurface rotors, you need to remove the rotor material in a piece of equipment that holds the finished surface very very perpindicular to the axis of rotation. You CANNOT do that with hand held tools or sandpaper.

I am guessing that you might be referring to sanding the rotors to remove residue. This is common and does perform the task of cleaning a rotor, but it is not a substitute for proper resurfacing when the rotors are warped.

Personally, I am a much bigger fan of replacing the rotors and never resurfacing. Resurfaced rotors warp faster because they have been made thinner and thinner rotors have less thermal area and are more prone to warping from the high heat of braking - especially when you heat up the brakes and drive thru a puddle of cold (or icy) water.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I had the same problem and replaced my rotors with new $30 ones from Autozone. They have been working fine for two years now. Others here swear by expensive drilled and slotted rotors and they make a difference, but mine do their job.

Also check your ball joints, tie-rod ends etc. Worn steering components could cause vibrations when you brake and are a common problem with Durangos. Warped rotors is the most common cause of the symptoms you described though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.