DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
File this under 3 items fixed – new problem found.

I was feeling kinda frisky today so I jumped into the horn, turn signal, brake light, repair project by replacing a questionable turn sig switch. Upon removing the wheel I found what looks to be the source of the intermittent brake light problem. The insulation on the white wire (brake lights) was warn down and probably shorting on the inner horn ring. This may be why the p/o disconnected (hacked) the horn wiring. A couple things seem to have caused this; 1. the snap ring that sits on top of the shaft bearing had worked it’s little groove into a miniature Grand Canyon. That allowed the steering wheel enough slop (up and down – not left to right) to press against the t/sig assembly, and 2. whomever had worked on this before put the retaining plate behind the switch assembly – moving the switch even closer to the horn ring/wheel.

Anyway, after cleaning everything up I put on a slightly smaller (and in much better condition) a fancy schmancy Ramcharger wheel.

Bottom line is – to properly fix this I now need to replace the steering shaft. Hopefully I will only have to do the upper portion. Can anyone confirm that the upper portion is a separate piece so I don’t have to replace the whole dern thang? Is there a diagram/picture available?

Also, does anyone have a good steering shaft the want to sell?

Thanks,
L

P.S. many thanks to Meg for posting the Ignition Switch repair How-to it was very helpful showing the correct positioning of the pieces.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.