DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my '03 Cummins 4x4 I have been running 33" tires for 3 weeks. I have noticed since putting them on that when I'm stopped (not in motion) and try to turn the wheels they wont move at all unless I start rolling. Could my steering pump be going bad?? the fluid level is fine.

·
running on 6 cylinders
543 Posts
could be the pump or the box. if the steering shaft turns and the wheels dont then it is one of those. if you have a pressure gauge you can test the pump and see what you have. were there any symptoms before hand? did you change anything recently? the steering boxes are known to fail but usually they fail slowly. did you hit anything that might have snapped something internal in the box? one thing you can try is adjusting the box. there should be a set screw with a jamb nut. losen the jamb nut and turn the set screw clockwise a quarter of a turn and try it. if no results repeat procedure. if still nothing return set screw to origional position. it is either not the issue or is completely shot.

·
Dodge For Life
120 Posts
you stated this started after installing the big tires

is it possible the tires just grab that much more then you had b4?
lots of weight on those front tires.
any odd feeling or noise with turning when rolling?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NO noises at all and no pump whine either. The truck steers great when rolling just cant move the tires at all when not in motion. This problem just became more noticeable with the 33" tires... I'm going to check the pressure and go from there.

·
running on 6 cylinders
543 Posts
sorry but the size of tire doesnt matter. if it can turn the 33s then something is wrong and aint the tires, I know people with 42s on stock box and pump and it turns them fine.

·
Dodge For Life
120 Posts
just wondering.
I don't ever turn my wheels at a stand still.

·
running on 6 cylinders
543 Posts
sometimes it will get a little hard but 33s shouldnt be a problem as these trucks are made to run a plow which puts more weight on the front then 33s.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.