DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I noticed some fluid leaking just under my front axle(4x4) and after looking over the engine I believe I have determined it is my steering damper(I hope that is). So, my questions are, will it leak fluid or should look elsewhere, it looks like it is pretty easy to replace(please let me know if there are any tricks to it) is it and is the vehicle driveable as is now.
Thanks in advance for your advice.

1997 4x4 Ext Cab

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
They are basically a shock and have fluid in them. If the seal goes bad they will leak. :gr_patrio

·
Registered
607 Posts
The damper doesn't do much on road, unless you've got a suspension geometry issue or loose enough joints in the steering that it's prone to death wobble, it's more on rough terrain it'll reduce the shock transmittied to the steering box and eventually to your fingers. I drove mine for months without one, in fact it came without one since someone had gone through the lot and removed the dampers from all the 4x4s. So much for the pre-delivery inspection.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
excellent, thanks for the replies and it is good to know I can get some more miles out of it before I replace it.

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.