DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nobody makes one that fits on a Power Wagon do they? What is the general consensus here, are they worth it, do I need one etc?

All the diesel guys I talk to say it's mandatory, makes sense to me I suppose. Do I need one, or should I have one. It seems like it would be fairly simple to get one modified to fit our trucks but does being a kilo lighter in the front end mean we don't really need it? I've never seen anybody wheeling a hemi with one but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Either way its the same rack and all right, I suppose having more pressure on the tires would mean its working a little harder and it may be worth it to have one just to ensure the life of our steering I'm just wondering how necessary it is? They shouldn't affect flex or anything right, is there some other issue I may not have realized?

If I/ we decide it is a good idea and I can get somebody to actually sell a Power Wagon version rather than me just cutting a cunk out and welding it would anybody be interested. Or maybe even if I find a local shop to do it and I send them back out, assumeing it's even cost effective to do it that way. (proably wouldn't be)

·
warlock06
551 Posts
weight is an issue but more so i think its overall drag on steering linkage.... if your scrub radius is way off i would say yes, but unless you have a wider wheel with minimal backspace you really dont need to worry.... ( scrub radius)....straight line through ball joints to ground.... vertical through wheel center.... difference between the two on the ground is the radius.... obviously the taller the tire , the less backspace you need

·
Moab Tested
7,252 Posts
I've been looking at them too. You would get more support for the steering box with one. My question is would they fit because of the winch and sway-bar dicconnect.

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been looking at them too. You would get more support for the steering box with one. My question is would they fit because of the winch and sway-bar dicconnect.
No they wouldn't, that's why I was saying if I decided to get one if anyone else wants one I can look into getting more done. I have not seen one made for a Power Wagon?

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
weight is an issue but more so i think its overall drag on steering linkage.... if your scrub radius is way off i would say yes, but unless you have a wider wheel with minimal backspace you really dont need to worry.... ( scrub radius)....straight line through ball joints to ground.... vertical through wheel center.... difference between the two on the ground is the radius.... obviously the taller the tire , the less backspace you need
Well we have 6" back spacing that's not minimal is it, I thought there was some play in the steering box or something that it addressed also? I have heard a few people say how much better/ tighter their steering felt after they put it on but as I said they were all diesels so that's a factor. Most, if not all of them were also running 35's which probably all have less back spacing than us.

either way could there be any negatives, suspension flex or anything, there shouldn't be right?

·
Labrador Retrievers rule!
1,794 Posts
If you want better steering "feel", get locking hubs.

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm just trying to find out if it's worth $150 to extend the life of my steering? apparently I hear these boxes are junk and will die anyway and with my luck it would be right after the warranty so I might as well get a jump on things. Plus locking hubs was well over $1k wasn't it, a steering brace is almost pocket change. Really all I need it the bearing and I could make the rest my damn self, It'll be almost as much work to modify one.

·
Registered
216 Posts
i just got my steering brace in and will be getting it modfied to fit on my power wagon will let you all know how it works out

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cool, which one did you get? take a bunch of before and after pics if you can

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.