DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my autozone reman box is starting to act up and is gonna give out pretty soon.

I need to find a better replacement. Has anyone purchase a steering box from Red-Head? Any other better boxes out there?....................170bcuda

·
Registered
77 Posts
When mine went I pulled one from a 90s chev 1-ton in the wrecker. It's the same box as the dodge 1500.
Gord.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Yes get a Redhead. My mechanic swears by them.

·
Ram Pwnage
602 Posts
Whatever you do, don't buy a POS AGR box. I bought one of those autozone crap boxes and thought it was too loose, so I shelled out for an AGR. It was an even bigger peice of crap and they wouldn't take it back.in less than 3 months the bearings where trashed, and it was leaking. Saving up for a PSC box, never heard anything bad about them.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Last time I checked, PSC wasn't doing the boxes for the mopars due to the lousy cores. Thats why I wound up with a box from azone. Did PSC start again? Everyone I talked to, swears by their red-head steering gear, but then again, they don't have a dodge ram or have gone thru the steering clusterfunk either. 170bcuda

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
im running 2 agr gear boxes one in my jeep and one in my 86 w 250 and love them no issues at all beats the pos autozones that were in them also thats what is going in the 97 when it goes back on the road

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
AGR not making them any more. I used a red head and it is great it replaced my 1 yr old auto zone box.

·
I WISH I WAS GREEN
3,273 Posts
Its been said that one of the PSC chevy boxes is a direct bolt one but I cant swear on that. So thats why I will be going with red.

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
Sorry I meant PSC not doing them I was posting after reading the last post and messed up but hey I still vote Red Head.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Its been said that one of the PSC chevy boxes is a direct bolt one but I cant swear on that. So thats why I will be going with red.
A chev 3500 or 2500HD has exactly the same steering box as the dodge 1500 so any steering box made for those trucks will bolt right in. I have a steering box from a chev 3500 on my truck and it bolted right in. The pitman arm is different though.
Gord.

·
I WISH I WAS GREEN
3,273 Posts
A chev 3500 or 2500HD has exactly the same steering box as the dodge 1500 so any steering box made for those trucks will bolt right in. I have a steering box from a chev 3500 on my truck and it bolted right in. The pitman arm is different though.
Gord.
Know what years? And how are they different? The splins different of just the angle or design of the arm of the pitman arm?

What did you guys pay for your red head box? This is the only thing holding me back from calling them.(I just need a ballpark number)

EDIT: I think SG841M or SG841MR would work but they aint cheap.

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/chevy-steering-gears-8002-trucksubblazertahoe-c-137_56_65.html

·
Registered
77 Posts
Know what years? And how are they different? The splins different of just the angle or design of the arm of the pitman arm?

What did you guys pay for your red head box? This is the only thing holding me back from calling them.(I just need a ballpark number)

EDIT: I think SG841M or SG841MR would work but they aint cheap.

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/chevy-steering-gears-8002-trucksubblazertahoe-c-137_56_65.html
I got mine from an earlier 90s chevy, 95 or earlier. Since the chevy has IFS, the pitman arm is shaped differently but the splines are the same, the dodge pitman arm bolts right on. Those part pages don't list much information, but since they include the tahoe i suspect they are for a chev 1500 which has a smaller steering box.
Gord.

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
I paid 250.00 and the core deposit was 75.00 I believe. You can get standard ratio and quick ratio also.

·
I WISH I WAS GREEN
3,273 Posts
Ive been thinking about the quick ratio. Is that a good idea? I kinda like the idea of it but it could be too much. Kinda hard to tell if I would like it with out getting behind the wheel of something that did.

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
Well they told me with the large tires get the standard due to the stress the larges tire would put on the quick ratio one I don't know.

·
I WISH I WAS GREEN
3,273 Posts
Good enough for me. Ill go with the std one. I think ill try and order it on monday. I feel this is THE week link and the cause of my steering slop.

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
My weak link is I need cross over steering.

·
I WISH I WAS GREEN
3,273 Posts
Well I emailed redhead about ordering a box. If the price is still 250.00 I will order both the box and the cross-over steering tomorrow.

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
Should be night and day then as the cross over steering takes all the bump steer out when we start getting 5+ inches lift. Let me know how you like it if I didn't have all my front parts powder coated and new dual zinc coated stabilizer I would change right now.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.